Neon wars?

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got 5 new neon tetras a couple of days ago, and after acclimating for an hour I released them into their home. They immediately started schooling with my other 3 neons and all appeared well.

However, yesterday I noticed that various members of their little group had little nips in their tails. I thought they were just working out the pecking order amongst themselves. Buuut, today I noticed that the smallest little guy has almost no tail at all left, and the second smallest is a little better, but his tail is pretty beat up too. Neither fish appears stressed though, they all ate fine when I fed them and they aren't hiding or anything, still schooling with all the others.

It crossed my mind that maybe the serpae was picking on them, but I have never seen him display any aggression, in fact, sometimes he schools with them. On occasion he will take a run at them, but I have never seen him nip them. Also, I figured if it were the serpae, the guppy's tail would be torn to shreds, and it has never ever had a shred.

Should I be worried? I am thinking I should let them work it out amongst themselves... But then I also don't want to subject the poor little guys to more stress than necessary.

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
IME the neons are on the whole never seem to give a problem being mixed with existing school, but have had the odd nip and chase for a while in the pecking order.

But IMO just keep a eye on it. The serpae may be the cause. Just so you know these really like the neons do need to be in a group.

As for the fish getting stress I would leave them to sort out them selves. Less stress than stopping them or moving them.

mac

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know the serpaes like to be in a group, the loner will be getting 4 or 5 friends soon! I got just the one before I knew about the whole schooling thing... Aka before fish lore

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Great news.

All of us have made this mistake at some point. AKA me in the very first time at fish keeping.

mac

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Tetras/Neons section of the forum.

Thanks!
Ken

LeeRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got a school of six neons a few months back and experienced the same thing. I believe it is a pecking order thing but that doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. I don't think it is the new against the old though, just because mine were always together and still did it. The smallest had some pretty ripped up fins at one point and I was really worried. I ended up using melafix on the tank, and a week after that, his fins were whole again. I think the meds just gave him the boost he needed. If its really bad, maybe you can drill holes in a plastic tub, submerge it in the tank and stick him in it until he heals so that the other fish don't chase him.
Hope its better now,
Lee Rose.
P.S. I was reluctant to remove him from the school because i thought it may cause more stress being alone then with biting company. Your choice though.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads