Neon Tretra suddenly died

sunyx1223

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 5 neon tetras in a 30-gallon tank for over 5 months. I did a water change yesterday and tested the water today as ammonia 0, nitrite 0, ph 8 (kinda high but it was always this way), nitrate 5.

The neon tetras were all fine and eating well this morning. But one of them was having red gill (just noticed when it was near the surface) and gasping for air near the surface right before the death. It happened within 30 minutes (from acting weird to death).

I have other small fish like guppies, ember tetras, lamp-eye tetras and have not put any new fish or shrimp for 2 months. Other fish look fine right now. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong in my tank? I don't want other fish to be affected if this is a disease or something. Thanks a lot!

DIYbetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
It sounds like it could’ve been a lot of things. It could’ve been dropsy, ammonia burns, or even some sort of gill disease. It’s kinda hard with neons because they have so many health issues it could literally be anything.

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sometimes fish just die for no reason and sometimes there is a reason. Your neon may have been stressed by the high pH, neons don't like higher pH. If it was gasping at the surface it may have been short of oxygen, is the tank aerated?.
Keep an eye on the other fish and if you see further problems medicating may be an idea but no meds are good for healthy fish that don't need it.

sunyx1223

Reaction score
Sometimes fish just die for no reason and sometimes there is a reason. Your neon may have been stressed by the high pH, neons don't like higher pH. If it was gasping at the surface it may have been short of oxygen, is the tank aerated?.
Keep an eye on the other fish and if you see further problems medicating may be an idea but no meds are good for healthy fish that don't need it.
Yes the tank is aerated and heavily planted. The pH has been around 8 from the beginning. It didn't cause any problems before. I'll keep an eye on other fish. Hope they will be alright.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom