Neon tetras's

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You may be in for a LOT of water changes, I'm sure you could make it work. Use live plants for helping with nitrate and provide different areas. As you said overfilter. Many I'm sure will disgree (because that is overstocked), I'm just saying you could do it if your willing to put in extra cleaning time.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my opinion and experience, neons need more swim space than a 5g allows.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In my opinion and experience, neons need more swim space than a 5g allows.
+1.

Though it can "theoretically" can work, you'll have a shoal of miserable fish in your hands. Although neon tetras aren't crazy-hyperactive like danios, they still prefer a bit of swim space, with 10 gallons being the minimum.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The problem with overstocking very small tanks is not just the bioload, but the lack of swim space. You can have all the filtration in the world, but it's not going to help give your fish room to swim. Would you enjoy living in a tiny little room for the rest of your life, where you can walk around in small circles, but not able to do a quick sprint or jog if you feel like it? Like a prisoner who doesn't get to have a bit of time in the exercise yard every day? That is the way I see it.

And neons do need to be in a school of at least 6, they are schooling fish afterall.

I respect aqadvisor for trying to help out fishkeepers, but as many people here agree, it is still a flawed tool. Good on you for not just relying on it and getting some other opinions

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2nd on what Lucy said. My 5 neon's acted very passive when I had them in a 10G.
I do like the plant Idea, then add a few snails to help with the cleaning.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
+1.

Though it can "theoretically" can work, you'll have a shoal of miserable fish in your hands. Although neon tetras aren't crazy-hyperactive like danios, they still prefer a bit of swim space, with 10 gallons being the minimum.
+ another one. I don't think bioload would be your problem. I have neons in my 30 gallon, and they love to spread out and explore the entire tank. They are pretty active.

philipbouchard-davies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
awwww ok cuz at the moment i have 2 platys and its not working the one harasses the other to no end (they are both males) so im looking for something else i can add.

ps i do have live plants.

Phil

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO, I'd suggest then to either get a bigger tank for them then you can add some more fish and some hiding places or return one of them back to the LFS.

philipbouchard-davies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ya im going to return the mean, and before next christmas this tank is going to be upgraded to a 27 gallon hex (i already have just dont have the space) but the tank looks so empty with one DWARF platy.

Phil

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
5g tanks are great for inverts like dwarf shrimp!

27g hex tanks don't have a large footprint and therefore limited swimming space so it kinda brings you back to your current issue. Just something to think about.

-Lisa

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you could probably get away with a really small species, a couple of CPDs would fit but I'm not sure about aggression issues from the platy because of the tight quarters

A platy is as community as a community fish gets, but even they can get ornery from bumping into the same creatures over and over.

philipbouchard-davies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
for the 5.5 and ya the two platys dont work the one which i like better just hides behind the filter intake all day.

and stupid question whats a CPD?

Phil

philipbouchard-davies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ya i looked in to those but im not willing to pay 9.80 per fish so to get a small school of 6 it would cost me 58 bucks for tiny fish haha.

Phil

philipbouchard-davies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think im going to go with 5 neons this is my reasoning:

peacemaker92 has a 8 gal planted cardinal tank so im guessing thats about 6 cardinals push 2 inches while neons stay around 1 sooooo

6 2 inch fish= 12 inches in a 8 gal
5 1 inch plus a 1.5= 6.5 in a 5.5 gal now whos more overstocked?

Phil

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The 1" rule is really rudimentary and doesn't take into account things like activity level or shape of the tank. A lot of people here ignore it, or use it like Aqadvisor, as a general, basic starting point. And just because another member has a certain stocking level doesn't mean it's right (not saying that Peacemaker92 is wrong ). However, you will also find conflicting info depending on who responds to your post because I've been that I could put neons in my 5g.

The fish I've looked at for my 5g are chili rasboras, dwarf emerald rasboras, Dario Dario, sparkling gourami. Some people may say that a dwarf gourami could go in a 5g. And there's always a betta.

-Lisa

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Told ya people would disagree. Lol. I did indicate overstocking would be the reason. Thing is when you put tetra in a small tank, they tend not to school. Its not as pretty as the schooling they will exibit in a larger tank. Have you though of going single fish? Dwarf puffers are fun and one will love and work great in a 5gal or 6gal for that matter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom