Question Neon tetras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I was messing around on aqadvisor, putting in all the fish I was going to get in my new tank. This is what it said:
Warning: Red Tailed Black Shark is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.
In a 55 gallon aquarium, which will be well planted, would it really be a big deal?

EDIT: Also, now I'm thinking I want to add some cories. AqAdvisor has no problems with it, but I'm worried the shark will mess with them when they are small.

Last edited:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
Hopefully some of our experienced members will reply, but a quick look at the profile here on fishlore (https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RedTailShark.htm) suggests that it is not a good idea based on their temperament:
Temperament / Behavior : These fish can be hostile and are not recommended for community fish tanks with smaller tropical fish. They seem to behave when kept with larger fish
Compatible Tank Mates : Larger tropical fish given their aggressive nature but none large enough to eat them. It is not recommended to keep them with the Rainbow Shark unless your tank is sufficiently larger.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Neon Tetras should go into a very well established tank.

As for the Red Tail Shark, you can expect aggression issues even in a 55g well planted tank. These fish, along with the Rainbow Shark are just aggressive, plain and simple. I'm beginning to think that their housing requirements should be 125g or more.

I have a Rainbow Shark in my 265g, he's 6 inches long, sometimes he can be relentless in chasing my Silver Dollars. Luckily the Silver Dollars have room to escape and too the Silver Dollars are very fast. I've never kept Neons with either type of shark so I can't say for certain how they will interact but I wouldn't risk it.

I've never seen my Rainbow Shark give my Cory Cats a second glance. No issues there at all.

Best of luck with the new tank. Please keep us posted

Ken

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good mornning,

Let me add that I didn't have any aggression issues with my Rainbow Shark either when I first got it and it was only about 2 inches long. As the fish matured and acclimated to it's new environment, then the aggression issues began to develop.

Keep your eye on things Freak78

Ken

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank all of you. How about mollies and platies? They are much larger than neon tetras, but they are not really an aggressive type fish that can make the shark behave.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i think everyone was saying that it's not a good idea to have a shark in a small (small for a shark) tank....no matter what fish/plants/decorations etc you have. :;a2

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
heres my take
in a 55g , I think your shark and tetras will be fine....the shark will chase but the tetras are too fast IMO ..the shark will spend most of his time scavenging at the bottom...although ken has a HUGE tank (im jealous) with his shark and cory, id worry more about the cories in there with him than the tetras....just my :

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, see, now I've got a problem. I've got 2 cents from everybody and each pair of coins is from different countries...as in, everybody has different opinions. My opinion is "I'm too skeptical to try." Not exactly an opinion, but you get the point.

What tropical fish would you suggest me keeping with a shark, cories, mollies and platies?

Steve420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hate to add another : into the mix, but if you are looking for a personal experience/opinion here you go

I have a red tail in my 55g along with a school of Blue Neons, school of black neons, a school of Corys, a Golden Killi and 2 Angles.

My 55 is beyond heavily planted and has numerous caves/rocks/hiding spots, so that might help. My redtail has never shown any agression to any of the other fish in my tank. He spends most of his time schooling WITH the corys (yeah...it sounds weird and looks wierder, but they all hang out together) and I have never seen him chase any of my neons. They pass by each other all the time and it looks like they couldn't care any less about each other. Heck, I've seen them all nibbling on the same sinking shrimp pellet with no issues at all.

But keep in mind, my Neons were my FIRST fish I ever added to my tank (yep...going on 2+ years and still strong) and the Redtail was the LAST fish I added. My neons had been established in the tanks for quite a bit before the redtail was introduced (I just got him about 6 months ago)

Anyway, sorry if I added anymore confusion to the mix

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like the way his : sounds. However, it contradicts basically everything else everybody here has already said.
So Idk. Not sure how big a RTS can get in 6 months, but it sounds to me like you just happen to have a very, non aggressive aggressive fish. It's possible, I've seen it.
Either that or he isn't big enough to be mean. Got any pics?
As much as I hate to, it probably is one of those things you just have to dive into and see for yourself.
I can keep the shark in the tank a few days, and if it becomes too aggressive towards the others, I'll return it, or maybe even trade it in for a different shark. Depending on how much I still want one, anyway. Right now, on a scale of 1-10, I really want one!
arkyarkyarkyarkyarky arkyarky

EDIT: Also, I'm 'bout ready to move on to a new tank anyway. This one has turned into a real disaster within the last week. It's nasty, no matter how much I clean it, and just 5 minutes ago I stepped on my glass hood and shattered it.
Dee dee dee!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%