neon tetras Help

1. Banshee Initiate Member

I started cycling a 10 gallon and got frustrated and used TSS I stocked it with 6 neons, when I put them in the tank I realized one of them had a white spot right above it's tail, now, a few days later, I found him with his tail gone stuck to the filter, I got him off, he's still breathing but I'm pretty sure he's not going to make it, I thought it might be NTD, but since my ammonia levels are kinda high I thought maybe the other tetras got stressed and attacked them. But Tetra says not to do a water change for 2 weeks and it's only been 2 days, I don't know what I should do. :;dk

2. Jake the Fish Member Member

The white spot on his tail could be ICH but when you said he got stuck in the filter he could be stressed.

Some more experienced members might be able to help you with the rest of your worries. :)

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Neon tetras really need to be in a well established tank, and don't cycle well, even with TSS.

Some people will tell you to take him out and quarantine him, and let the other fish finish the TSS. Others will tell you to start daily water changes with Prime conditioner at this point, and forget the TSS.

Can you post a photo?

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Sorry to hear about your fish problems. While you are cycling with TSS, your readings are going to be all over the place for 7 to 10 days. I would recommend placing the fish in question into quarantine to prevent him from being picked on. However if it is ICH then the entire tank would have to be treated with increased temperatures. Adding Prime or anything to your tank while cycling with TSS may harm the TSS.
    Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

I'm sure you'll get some more responses.
    Best wishes!
    Ken