Neon Tetras?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by QueenLittleLizard, Apr 20, 2019.

?

Should we get neon tetras?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

2. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

If you get neons, just be careful to get good-quality ones. I got seven from Wet Spot Tropical Fish, and then my LFS had beautiful ones the next time I was in - grrr. But the ones I got do look nice.
    Oh, and not sure but they might become snacks.

3. A201Well Known MemberMember

I'd go with Cardinal Tetras instead of the Neons. They are a little bigger & tougher w/ just as much color.

4. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Healthy Neons are great (and better than cardinals) but there is a 50/50 chance of buying them with devastating Columnaris disease.

I also think that Angels and Siamese Algae Eaters will intimidate Neons and other small Tetras stressing them and causing ill-health and Clown Loaches belong in a 150 gallon tank certainly not a 55 gallon.

You would also be well advised to match fish with similar temperature requirements. I look up temperature ranges on Seriously Fish.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. Dennis57Valued MemberMember

I use to love my neons, had 12 of them. Added 2 angels, and the neons became a snack. I now keep my angels in a different tank, and started getting more neons.

6. imbaWell Known MemberMember

7. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

*sigh*
    The 55-gallon is a tank my friend and I share. I told her to get the kuhli loaches, but she went ahead and got the clown loaches instead. Oof. Now I’ll have to convince her to give them away. I’m already struggling to get her to give away our third angelfish, who’s being picked on.

8. A201Well Known MemberMember

Don't toss out the Clown Loaches. They are slow growers allowing plenty of time to upgrade to a larger tank. The bigger they get the more valuable they become.

9. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Good advice. Thanks!