Neon tetras

1. MinhMai

MinhMai Valued Member Member

Hi folks. So I'm keeping Neon Tetras for the first time in a 20g community tank with guppies/endlers, cories, and otos. Petsmart had a large school of them that were looking very healthy and on sale for 80c each. Very fitting fish for 4th of July weekend. Couldn't resist the temptation to get 6 of them. Is there anything I should keep in mind? Currently they're all clustered at the back corner of the tank hiding from view, that's normal in the first few days right?

2. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

Did you acclimate them?
    Do you have alot of plants etc?

I have rummy-noses and they didnt move that much around first day, but eventually schooled alot. But its vital that your water quality is very good.

3. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Yes there most likely nervous, young,and never been in a community tank before. What temperature is your tank at?

4. OP
    OP
    MinhMai

The tank is pretty well planted, although it could fill in some more. I just transplanted everything from a crowded planted 10g into this 20g. Tank temp ranges in between 74-78 depending on the time of day. Parameters are ph 8, 0/0/20. I've turned off the heater for the summer. I only temperature acclimated them before netting them into the tank. It has only been 4-5 hours since I got them. And now they're schooling in the center of the tank it's beautiful!

[​IMG]

5. Dave125g

Good glad to here it they should be fine

6. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

As Dave75g says I am sure they are fine as well, its a nice looking tank you have there

7. Dave125g

PH is a bit high. But mine is too. Most fish born in captivity are well accustomed to higher PH levels,then that of there wild counterparts

8. OP
    OP
    MinhMai

Yea I'm not sure why. Might be the sand I'm using that's causing higher pH. My 45 gallon is holding at 7.5 same as my tap water.

Thanks for alleviating my worries Drsahl and Dave

9. Dave125g

When it comes to PH stability is the key. BTW your tank is beautiful

10. OP
    OP
    MinhMai

Thanks! I just started messing with lives plants and aquascaping.

11. Dave125g

Me too I got my first live plant last week. Now I got 4 total