Neon tetras??

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by Hamham, Jul 13, 2015.

1. HamhamNew MemberMember

How can I take well care of neon tetras?
    i have a 20 gallon tank so how many neons can I put in it?
    do I need a heater for them. If yes any guess how much it might cost?
    any info on neons will be helpful

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You need a heater and filter for all tropical fish. A good heater will generally run you around $25-30.
    I recommend an Aqueon Pro 100w for a 20 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Hi again!

Neon tetras are a bit delicate, I believe this is due to the high demand and excessive breeding though. You'll have to keep a very close eye on water parameters with these fish. They do need to be in schools of six or more, and how many you can have really depends on what other fish you want in the tank with them.

As for a heater, yes, they need one. So far, the Aqueon Pro Adjustable Heater hasn't failed my 20g. :)

4. OP
    OP
    H

HamhamNew MemberMember

Do I have to test for temperature and P.H?
    if yes then how with what

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You'll need to buy a liquid test kit such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, they usually sell this at Petco or Petsmart that lets you test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

6. BornThisWayBettas

For temperature, I recommend a digital thermometer instead of a glass one. The digital one is easier to read and when I had a glass one it broke.

For pH and other water parameters such as ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, I highly recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, other members will back me up on this. :)

7. Et tuValued MemberMember

For 1st time fish keepers I suggest White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 8-12 for a 20 gallon. They don't need a heater, they usually are super cheap to buy, and never complain.

8. OP
    OP
    H

HamhamNew MemberMember

How much for the kit? Any guess

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It's around $25, it's pretty much essential.

10. BornThisWayBettas

Around $25 for the kit. You can also order off Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1435927256&sr=1-1&keywords=api+freshwater+master+test+kit

This may seem like a lot, but ultimately it'll save you tons more than the inaccurate test strips! :D

11. MatthewM

MatthewMValued MemberMember

It really doesn't matter the type fish. As long as you start out right you can keep whatever you want.

12. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

How are you cycling your tank? Neon tetras are generally not recommended unless your tank is already established.

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'm assuming he's doing a fish-in cycle since he already has the neon tetras... is he familiar with the nitrogen cycle? I dont see anyone asked this of him

14. BornThisWayBettas

I don't think the OP already has the neons.......

15. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, most freshwater fish are pretty easy to keep as long as you read up on them and know if they are jumpers, aggressive, semi-aggressive, community, etc.

16. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

If you just did neons you could have 20 in there but you need the water temp in the upper 70s and good filtration. Other than betta, neons were my first fish and unknowingly I cycled my first tank with 5 of them and a betta. I've only lost one and the betta got it. But you need a minimum of 6

17. OP
    OP
    H

HamhamNew MemberMember

I don't understand what somebody mean when they say " have you cycled your tank"

18. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

They mean the nitrogen cycle If you don't know it, click the link and read up on it. It's key in fishkeeping and it's necessary to understand it in order to maintain healthy water.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  19. BornThisWayBettas

Hmm, that link on the nitrogen cycle didn't work. Maybe this one did?

20. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I don't think links work on a mobile device...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice