Neon Tetras To Rummy Noses?

Jeremy Pearce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have 26 neon tetras in a 50 gallon tank (heavily planted) along with 6 kuhli loaches, 6 cory catfish, shrimp, and a siamese algae eater. I want something that schools tightly to look nice as my main fish. I was hoping the neons would do that which they have been a little disappointing. I was wondering if I should find a way to get rid of the neons and get a bunch or rummy noses (and if so, how many with my stock minus the neons) or just get up to about 40 neons and leave it like that. I also want to keep my blue dream shrimp safe from being eaten which i’m worried about rummy noses eating them because they’re a bit bigger than neons. I also live in Texas so the summer may bring my water temp to about 80 degrees max. Thanks in advance!

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Runny nose tetra definitely do school much better but I would personally keep the neon tetra and get rummynose tetras with them. They are an awesome combo!

Jeremy Pearce

Valued Member
Reaction score
FreshestFreshwater said:
Runny nose tetra definitely do school much better but I would personally keep the neon tetra and get rummynose tetras with them. They are an awesome combo!
Well with rummy noses i’d want to get rid of the current neons. If I did so how many rummy noses can I get with the rest of my stock? Will they harm my shrimp?

yukondog said:
With the warmer water maybe switch from neon's to cardinal tetra
How tight of schoolers are cardinal tetras because i’m mostly just looking for a tight schooler.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I saw a newly 'scaped display tank at a lfs that was packed with probably a hundred juvenile cardinals, and they were schooling really tight. I can't imagine it was sustainable (if the fish grow much, overstocking would be an understatement), but wow did they ever school.
I have rummies, and they are generally considered one of the tightest schoolers. Never seen any aggression/hunting with my shrimp (even juvie RCS), but you know what they say about mouth size and food (if it fits, its food).
My parents have a few cards, and they also school, much better than the neons I used to have, but not like the rummies.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want tight school you need to introduce a fish that the neons see as a possable threat. I have an angel in with neons. The water temp is at the low end for the angels and the high end for the neons.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jeremy Pearce said:
How tight of schoolers are cardinal tetras because i’m mostly just looking for a tight schooler.
Cardinals are more tight schoolers than neons. Besides of that a lot of neons are of terrible quality.

To add a fish that would frighten them (= stress) wouldn't be my idea !

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom