Neon Tetras Or What? Question

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by chris huang, Apr 9, 2018.

1. chris huangNew MemberMember

What are these tetras? are they neon tetras or are they different tetras? i need to make sure what type they are so i can add more of their type to the aquarium or see whats compatible with em.

2. OP
    OP
    c

chris huangNew MemberMember

almost forgot to give some pictures

Attached Files:

3. Five 97

Five 97Well Known MemberMember

They are zebra danios (Danio rerio) with fluorescent jellyfish genes, commonly known as glofish.
    They aren't the same species as glofish tetras (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi), but they are the same species as regular zebra danios & leopard danios. And they will school with their own species.

4. OP
    OP
    c

thank you, do you have any advice for taking care of them?

5. Five 97

NP. Their very active fish, I would recommend at least a 20g, preferably long. They require cooler temperatures, between 75F and 65F, so a heater will most likely not be needed, if your household temp is around that.
    They'll accept most all dried foods, like flakes and appropriately sized pellets for a staple (supplementing live & frozen foods would definitely be nice). Overall, they're very hardy fish and are easy to breed. *Although, I believe you need a license to breed and distribute glofish.

6. OP
    OP
    c

I think my 5 gallon will be sufficient for now(i may upgrade to 10g in the summer). Since theyre social animals, will they need a couple more partners or is 5g already too small for any more? I have two currently.

7. Five 97

Yes, I forgot to mention, they need to be in groups of 6 or more. A 5g is really insufficient space for these active fish, as you've probably seen. I would try to upgrade to a 20g (A 10g is still too restrictive) ASAP, or just return them to the store.

8. OP
    OP
    c

Thats a shame.. My dad isnt too happy because they costed 11 bucks and there is no refund :(. My dad doesnt want to just waste money like that so ill keep it for now and see how they grow
    If possible i will try to grab a 15g or above. Thanks for the help though!

9. Five 97

Would it be possible to grab a safe storage container to use and keep them in there until you're able to get an upgrade? And move along the filter and media as well to keep the cycle.

10. OP
    OP
    c

i dont have any larger containers than my 5 gallon, but i could put them in my arowanas stomach if i wanted, hes in a nice 150g

11. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

I love a guy with a sense of humor.

They’ll be just fine in a 5 gallon. They won’t spawn, they won’t exhibit natural behavior, but they’ll survive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice