Neon Tetras Keep Dying

Kaila Knies

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 10 gallon tank that has been set up for 4 years. The fish I had in it got old and died, so I got 5 neon tetras and 5 black neon tetras to put in it. They keep dying and nothing I've done has helped. Ammonia is 0, nitrates/nitrites are at 0, ph is 7.2, and temp is 75 F. They all seem fine until I look the next day and they are just laying on the bottom. I still have 2 of each that have survived with no issues. I also have 2 bumblebee golbys that have had no issue. Are tetras just really sensitive or is something off?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lots of people have had the same problems with Neon's some people think it's Neon Tetra disease and others think it's the lack of QT the fish before introducing them into your system. Some have the ability to live though it and others don't.

If you plan on getting more I would QT them first.

OP
Kaila Knies

Kaila Knies

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Why would I need to quarantine them? I left them in their little bags floating in my tank for 2 hours before releasing them so they would acclimate to the temperature. I read somewhere where they are sensitive to pH and should be at a pH of 6.5. Has anyone else ever heard of that?

Lh 90 gallon

Reaction score
Kaila Knies said:
Why would I need to quarantine them? I left them in their little bags floating in my tank for 2 hours before releasing them so they would acclimate to the temperature. I read somewhere where they are sensitive to pH and should be at a pH of 6.5. Has anyone else ever heard of that?
floating them in the bag then putting them directly into tank is not the appropriate way to acclimate fish. What you need to do is float the bag to equalize temperatures. After you do this SLOWLY poor 1/2 cup of tank water every 10-15 minutes into the bag do this for at least an hour and a half. if the bag gets too full dump some water out of bag. Doing so will acclimate the fish to the water parameters of the tank. This is assuming you bought fish from store and not mail order.

OP
Kaila Knies

Kaila Knies

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay thanks! I did buy them from a store. Why didn't they tell me to do this!? Next time I'll mix the water and hope for the best.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a similar method to what Lh90gallon stated.

I float the bag to get the temps the same, then pour the bag into a container with the fish. Then start to add aquarium water to the bag water. After awhile, I pour some of the mixture out and add more tank water.

I then net the fish or pour out the container into my bucket through a net to catch the fish, then transfer the fish over to my tank.

I never mix the water from the fish store to my tank.

I also dose API Melafix and Kordon Ich Attack to my 10 gallon quarantine tank for a few days when adding new fish.

I will also do a light gravel vac and water change every 3-4 days for around 2 weeks in the quarantine tank.

Every time I buy neon tetras, at least one dies within 1-3 days. I think when they are juveniles, they are susceptible to stress out more, even if water parameters are good. My pH runs high around 7.8-8.2. I have a small school of Neon Tetras in my 20 gallon tank that do fine with the higher pH.

How is your tank now?

James079

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I introduce them I think I floated them in the tank for about half an hour, then added tank water to the bag and left it another half an hour. I think Neons are often more susceptible to stress. Maybe when your adding them next time add a de-stressor to the water.

OP
Kaila Knies

Kaila Knies

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Islandvic said:
I have a similar method to what Lh90gallon stated.

I float the bag to get the temps the same, then pour the bag into a container with the fish. Then start to add aquarium water to the bag water. After awhile, I pour some of the mixture out and add more tank water.

I then net the fish or pour out the container into my bucket through a net to catch the fish, then transfer the fish over to my tank.

I never mix the water from the fish store to my tank.

I also dose API Melafix and Kordon Ich Attack to my 10 gallon quarantine tank for a few days when adding new fish.

I will also do a light gravel vac and water change every 3-4 days for around 2 weeks in the quarantine tank.

Every time I buy neon tetras, at least one dies within 1-3 days. I think when they are juveniles, they are susceptible to stress out more, even if water parameters are good. My pH runs high around 7.8-8.2. I have a small school of Neon Tetras in my 20 gallon tank that do fine with the higher pH.

How is your tank now?
I had no luck with the Neon tetras, but I did get black neon tetras to acclimate and live in the tank just fine. I guess they are more hardy or do not get as stressed?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom