Neon Tetras Keep Dropping Dead!

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Surprisingly I started off with 13 neons and a few months later still at 12. 1 died within a few days. It's such hit or miss with them. They're all getting big and plump now compared to when you buy them and they're so skinny and malnourished looking.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Surprisingly I started off with 13 neons and a few months later still at 12. 1 died within a few days. It's such hit or miss with them. They're all getting big and plump now compared to when you buy them and they're so skinny and malnourished looking.
The difference might be in the acclimatation. How did you do it ?

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Where were the fish while the slow drip took place ? Did you manually pour or use some kind of automatic tool ?
Put the school in a 3 gallon bucket with the original LFS water.

Put a timer for 5 minutes, and slowly dropped half a turkey baster's worth of my fish tank's water. Painful but seemed to work.

I think the other key was getting them in a large group too.

Tol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can drip acclimate using spare airline tubing and a plastic control valve at the bucket end. Start a siphon and close the valve off. Then just use suction cups to hold each end in place, open the valve slowly and adjust the drip to whatever you need. You just have to watch the water level in the bucket and when done, shut the valve, pull the tubing out, net your fish and add to your tank. I would float the bag in your tank for 15-20 minutes to get the temps closer before getting started.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the other key was getting them in a large group too.
I think so too. I might give it one more try, this time buying 12-15 of them at once.

You can drip acclimate using spare airline tubing and a plastic control valve at the bucket end. Start a siphon and close the valve off. Then just use suction cups to hold each end in place, open the valve slowly and adjust the drip to whatever you need.
Great tip, thanks !

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom