Neon Tetras In 10 Gallon Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Little John, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

How many neon tetras can I put in a ten gallon?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You cannot keep neons in a ten gallon, they are far too active for the size, and need a 20 gallon minimum.

3. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

you can keep green neons tetras

4. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Agreed with the others, a 10g isn't enough for neons. Green neons would be a suitable substitute. Here's some more options that can be done in a 10 gallon - Stocking List for 10 Gallons

5. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

Cardinal tetras are not as active as neon tetras, though grow ever so slightly larger. If they are the only thing in your tank, and you keep on top of tank maintenance, you could keep a shoal of 10. But if youre just starting out, 8 is probably a better bet.

6. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I would not put Cardinals in a 10g either. IMO, they need the same space as neons.

7. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

Not trying to argue with anyone but I'm curious as to why neons are considered to need a 20g. I have a 65g with 11 neon tetras plus harlequin rasboras, cories, otos and a dwarf gourami. Of these, neons are by far the least active and just sort of gently drift around. They would be fine in a 10. None of the other fish would - my harlequins and DG are incredibly active yet they are often recommended for under 20g tanks. (My tank parameters are ideal for neons and all have survived and thrived, so I don't think mine are particularly listless).

IMO any fish benefits from as big a tank as possible, but I am genuinely curious as to why neons are considered particularly active fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice