Neon Tetras In 10 Gallon

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You cannot keep neons in a ten gallon, they are far too active for the size, and need a 20 gallon minimum.

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cardinal tetras are not as active as neon tetras, though grow ever so slightly larger. If they are the only thing in your tank, and you keep on top of tank maintenance, you could keep a shoal of 10. But if youre just starting out, 8 is probably a better bet.

Five 97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cardinal tetras are not as active as neon tetras, though grow ever so slightly larger. If they are the only thing in your tank, and you keep on top of tank maintenance, you could keep a shoal of 10. But if youre just starting out, 8 is probably a better bet.
I would not put Cardinals in a 10g either. IMO, they need the same space as neons.

Susiefoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not trying to argue with anyone but I'm curious as to why neons are considered to need a 20g. I have a 65g with 11 neon tetras plus harlequin rasboras, cories, otos and a dwarf gourami. Of these, neons are by far the least active and just sort of gently drift around. They would be fine in a 10. None of the other fish would - my harlequins and DG are incredibly active yet they are often recommended for under 20g tanks. (My tank parameters are ideal for neons and all have survived and thrived, so I don't think mine are particularly listless).

IMO any fish benefits from as big a tank as possible, but I am genuinely curious as to why neons are considered particularly active fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom