Neon Tetra's Hiding near filter Help

1. Jake the Fish Member Member

I have 10 neon tetra's in my tank and every day at least 1 or 2 Neon's hide behind the filter. I don't know why they do it, is it something to do with the lighting?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Jake,
    It might be normal, but it also might be stress from an uncycled or overcrowded tank. Depends on what you mean by "hide". In one of your other threads, I recommended that you read up on the nitrogen cycle. I think you'll really benefit from getting an understanding of this. :)

3. Jake the Fish Member Member

Thanks for your help Meenu. :;perfect
    I also just cleaned my tank if that helps, even though it was due for a clean.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Sure, cleaning the tank is usually helpful. Can you describe how you clean the tank? Do you vacuum the gravel, replace or rinse the filter, change a percentage of the water, etc.?

I ask because once you understand the cycle, you want to clean your tank in ways that will protect it. For example, you may want to rinse the filter rather than replace it. And maybe vac half the gravel each time instead of all of it.

The nitrogen cycle is basically this (you should read this link as well):
    Your tank has ammonia from the waste the fish produce. The beneficial bacteria living on the surface of your gravel and filter media eats the ammonia, changing it to nitrite. Another beneficial bacteria converts that into nitrates.

Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can be lethal to fish. A small amount of nitrates are fine (5-20). Once your tank is cycled, it means you have enough benefical bacteria growing to eat all the ammonia and nitrites, making your tank a healthy place to live. Your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates.

I see you use a liquid test kit for ammonia. API makes liquid tests for nitrite and nitrate as well. Picking these up will help you determine if your tank is already cycled. Do you know what brand your ammonia and pH tests are?

5. Jake the Fish Member Member

Today, I cleaned the tank by rinsing the filter and replacing the filter pad (I use a carbon filter pad). I also used a cyphon to clean the gravel which took out about 40% of the water. I also put back in a Texas Holey Rock I got when I first bought my tank. After the clean I poured some Water Conditioner in the water.

P.S. I just checked the tank and it is looking very clear and there fish look happy.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

All of that sounds good to me. What kind of conditioner do you use? I use Prime and Tetra Aqua Safe. Prime and Amelquel Plus are most recommended on this website because they serve as a water conditioner with the added benefit of detoxifying ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for 24 hours.

7. Jake the Fish Member Member

I use AquaPlus Water Conditioner. My LFS recommended it to me.

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Just to check: are you rinsing your filter media in tap water or a bucket of siphoned tank water?

The chlorine in tap water will kill the good bacteria on your filter media. If you must rinse the media, dunk and shake it in the bucket of siphoned water, then replace. :)

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not saying this to argue, but I always wash my mechanical media clean in hot tap water without consequence. Now, all of my filters have dedicated biomedia (biomax or wheels) which i DO NOT rinse in tap water. IME the colonies in the biomedia quickly make up the difference when the colony in the mechanical media is washed away. That's why is so important to have a dedicated biomedia - to preserve the cycle. The biowheels are good example of this, as you can freely change cartridges every month and not disrupt the cycle.

As for the neons hiding behind the filter....if only 1 or 2 are doing it and the others are acting normal I would just keep a close eye on things.

10. Jake the Fish Member Member

Yes, I am running my filter media under tap water because the siphoned water is way too dirty to wash anything in.:)

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Jake, the chlorine in the tap water kills the beneficial bacteria. I think Jaysee washes his in tapwater because he has other media with the bacteria established on it. You don't necessarily have that, so you should rinse in discarded tank water. If you are uncomfortable with that, then if I were you, I would get a bucket of tapwater, treat it with water conditioner, rinse the media in it, and then discard the rinse water. That way, you avoid chlorine contacting the bacterial colony.

Please keep in mind that every time you rinse, you are disturbing the bacteria, so you want to only rinse when the filter gets pretty bad, and just a quick rinse-off.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What are your feeding and waterchange schedule?

13. Jake the Fish Member Member

I feed my fish almost every day and I clean my tank about twice every month.

14. Jake the Fish Member Member

Today I checked and my Neon's are not hiding behind the filter anymore. I think it's because I put in a Texas Holey Rock and they hide behind it.