Neon Tetras hiding and not as active?

kaleen

Hi I have a 29 gallon planted tank with 17 neon tetras. I recently medicated the tank with General Cure, Super Ick Cure, and Melafix because I’m basically quarantining them before I get more fish. I only medicated once, not multiple times like the bottle says. Ever since I medicated 2 days ago some of them have been hiding in the back of the tank near the bottom and I can coax some out sometimes but others won’t budge. They’re alive because they’re swimming and breathing. I’ve also noticed some breathing problems in a couple as it looks like it’s taking them more effort to breathe. What should I do?

jkkgron2

Well Known
I would stop using the melafix. It’s not very helpful and is known in some cases to make labyrinth fish (neons aren’t but the meds could be stressing them) Have issues breathing. Did any of the fish actually show symptoms?

Crimson_687

Well Known
I think that’s a lot of meds to be throwing at a new fish at once, they’re probably just stressed out. I would discontinue the Melafix, it’s not really a medicine and won’t do anything, also the oils in it can irritate fish gills. I don’t think treating quarantine fish is a good idea. It will only stress them out, and it’s unlikely that they will actually be sick, more likely than not they’re healthy and just need some time to adjust to a new environment and recover from stress. If they were sick, it may be another sickness that does not respond to these medications. If you’re going to treat a fish, you should do it to actually treat something, not as a preventative. The best preventative is keeping your fish in an optimal environment with good water quality and minimal stress.

OP
K

kaleen

jkkgron2 said:
I would stop using the melafix. It’s not very helpful and is known in some cases to make labyrinth fish (neons aren’t but the meds could be stressing them) Have issues breathing. Did any of the fish actually show symptoms?
I saw a couple white spots on one of the fish and figured it was early ick but after I treated it went away so I wasn’t concerned anymore. I also saw one of the neon’s poop was clear and stringy and I figured it was internal parasites. But that’s all I noticed. Should I do a water change?

OP
K

kaleen

Crimson_687 said:
I think that’s a lot of meds to be throwing at a new fish at once, they’re probably just stressed out. I would discontinue the Melafix, it’s not really a medicine and won’t do anything, also the oils in it can irritate fish gills. I don’t think treating quarantine fish is a good idea. It will only stress them out, and it’s unlikely that they will actually be sick, more likely than not they’re healthy and just need some time to adjust to a new environment and recover from stress. If they were sick, it may be another sickness that does not respond to these medications. If you’re going to treat a fish, you should do it to actually treat something, not as a preventative. The best preventative is keeping your fish in an optimal environment with good water quality and minimal stress.
kaleen said:
I saw a couple white spots on one of the fish and figured it was early ick but after I treated it went away so I wasn’t concerned anymore
Crimson_687 said:
Ok thank you! Should I do a water change or leave them be for now?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
kaleen said:
Ok thank you! Should I do a water change or leave them be for now?
I would. In my humble opinion the very best thing we can give fish is fresh clean water. In this case it might be best to get as much of the medication as you can out of there. Personally I don't think it is a good idea to medicate until a diagnosis has been made.

OP
K

kaleen

mattgirl said:
I would. In my humble opinion the very best thing we can give fish is fresh clean water. In this case it might be best to get as much of the medication as you can out of there. Personally I don't think it is a good idea to medicate until a diagnosis has been made.
Ok, I might clean the filter out in the aquarium water too because it’s all blue now because of the super ick cure lol. Thanks!

New Threads