Neon Tetras Fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

barandemir09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have 10 neon tetras in a 15g/60L aquarium and they seem to be chasing each other and fighting a lot. I wanna know if there is anything I could do or if I could stop this somehow.

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
neon tetras like to stay in schools and it's strange that they might be chasing each other. Are they nipping each other or more like scaring each other away? While neon tetras normally shouldn't fight each other. Maybe its because your tank is too small for them and they are feeling uncomfortable in a tight space.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is news to me. Are they making physical contact? Many Tetras spar all day long but it is just a pecking order show with no actual nipping.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If they were recently added to the tank, they could just be establishing a pecking order. Give it a week or two to settle down a bit

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It could be that the tank is too small for the neons; they can be pretty active little fish. I'm not familiar with what size of tank they need, so someone else will have to chime in. I have 9 black neon tetras in a 54 gallon and there definitely is a boss in the group, but no picking.

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
General rule of thumb is a gallon per adult inch. Neon tetras are about 2 inches adult size so 10 neons would need 20 gallon tank.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could be that the tank is too small for the neons; they can be pretty active little fish. I'm not familiar with what size of tank they need, so someone else will have to chime in. I have 9 black neon tetras in a 54 gallon and there definitely is a boss in the group, but no picking.
Perhaps not optimal but they generally get along in pretty small tanks. I don't doubt it happens but I remember exactly zero truly aggressive neons.

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
General rule of thumb is a gallon per adult inch. Neon tetras are about 2 inches adult size so 10 neons would need 20 gallon tank.
No, the gallon per inch rule isn't correct. Most people on here don't go by that since it doesn't take into consideration the activity level of a fish. You wouldn't be able to put a 20 inch fish into a 20 gallon tank and it expect it to live a happy life.

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah
No, the gallon per inch rule isn't correct. Most people on here don't go by that since it doesn't take into consideration the activity level of a fish. You wouldn't be able to put a 20 inch fish into a 20 gallon tank and it expect it to live a happy life.
yeah but for neon tetras I would say this rule would apply.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By themselves 10 neons wouldn't even come close to stressing out a 20L if you have a decent filter and any water quality knowledge. They are widely known to be a delicate fish compared to most tetras.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your thinking neons? I have never seen a 2 inch neon in my life. Most grow to between 1 and 1.5 inches.

However please don't use the 1 inch rule.

I will say for a 15 gallon tank I would have done green neon tetras (and more of them).

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you sure your thinking neons? I have never seen a 2 inch neon in my life. Most grow to between 1 and 1.5 inches.

However please don't use the 1 inch rule.

I will say for a 15 gallon tank I would have done green neon tetras (and more of them).
Ah your right sorry I confused neons with cardinal tetras.

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What's the temp in your tank? I've noticed more aggression in fish when the temp is higher. Faster metabolism, so more energy to burn, maybe? Stress?

barandemir09

Valued Member
Reaction score
The tank is pretty open, there aren't many things in it, but they are still fighting (while in a school) and now I noticed some fins torn and missing. The heater is set to 24 degrees.they are making lots of physical contact because I can see the torn fins. Oh and I forgot to mention that this started before I rescaped the tank and now that I did so, the are even more nippy than before...

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isolating the bullies and re-introducing them later is a strategy known to sometimes work. But they are neons so good luck figuring out which ones are aggressive. Strange problem for sure. My neons were always the victim of harassment. I've never seen an aggressive neon. I suppose it could happen between males during the mating ritual, but it requires some specific conditions to trigger neon breeding.

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you have a picture of your tank? Maybe we could suggest some more ideas on plants for your fish to hide in if we saw your tank.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Probably the best thing would be to add more neons to spread out any aggression, but I think you tank may be a bit small for a school if 15/20 neons. Try adding more cover i.e plants and tall decorations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 42 63.6%

Top Bottom