Neon Tetras Dying

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I had a 40 gallon breeder with 10 neon tetras, 10 ember tetras, 2 honey gouramis, and 5 Kuhli loaches. 1 of the loaches died and then a week later 1 neon tetra died. 2 days later another is about to die. What is going on. I tested the water everything is good. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. All the fish look healthy but then I come back and see one dead. The only two things that I could say have caused this is I added in the ember tetras and an extra gourami a few days ago. They had been quarantined for 2 months so I know they were not sick. I have also had a few temperature changes from like 80 degrees to 82 then back down to 78 in like two days. Other then that I don’t know. I added some pictures of the one that is about to die. It is in a bucket outside the tank. I am going to do a water change

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What kind of test kit do you use?
As for the neons they appear to have slightly bent bodies, caved-in stomachs, and in pic 2 there is a large white growth. Did you quarantine the neon tetras? Does your supplier for the neon tetras have any history of NTD in their stock? As for the whitish growth in pic 2 it’s either columnaris or fungus. I’m leaning towards columnaris. As for your temperature changes. How quickly do these occur? Are they gradual or sudden?

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
What kind of test kit do you use?
As for the neons they appear to have slightly bent bodies, caved-in stomachs, and in pic 2 there is a large white growth. Did you quarantine the neon tetras? Does your supplier for the neon tetras have any history of NTD in their stock? As for the whitish growth in pic 2 it’s either columnaris or fungus. I’m leaning towards columnaris. As for your temperature changes. How quickly do these occur? Are they gradual or sudden?
They are gradual it’s because of my room heating up. I use api test kit that uses the drops. Where do you see the white growth in picture two. I did notice a second neon that looked unhealthy so I removed him too. Is this deadly to my whole tank. How should I approach this. I haven’t heard of them having NTD. I’ve had the neons since March and yes I quarantined them.

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I circled the white growth
Oops my bad that was just a drop of water on the outside of the container he was in. I wiped it away and that’s why is disappears on one of the photos.

I circled the white growth
What should I do still. I am going to remove all neon tetras and put them in my qt tank. The other fish look healthy it’s just the neons that’s don’t.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oops my bad that was just a drop of water on the outside of the container he was in. I wiped it away and that’s why is disappears on one of the photos.

What should I do still. I am going to remove all neon tetras and put them in my qt tank. The other fish look healthy it’s just the neons that’s don’t.
Talk to your LFS. Particularly with tetras due to their sensitivity and the way they are kept and shipped it’s not uncommon to buy an entire school of unhealthy tetra. It’s possible they have neon tetra disease

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Talk to your LFS. Particularly with tetras due to their sensitivity and the way they are kept and shipped it’s not uncommon to buy an entire school of unhealthy tetra. It’s possible they have neon tetra disease
Should I move them out of the tank to save the honey gouramis and the ember tetras

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
The ones that appear sick definitely need to be separated. How long have you had them for? Were they quarantined before?
Yes they were quarantined. They were quarantined in March for 2 months and then lived in that tank until now. Only the last few days have they started dying. I’m thinking about just moving them all is that a bad idea

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes they were quarantined. They were quarantined in March for 2 months and then lived in that tank until now. Only the last few days have they started dying. I’m thinking about just moving them all is that a bad idea
There could be some that are healthy so I would advise against it. However it does sound like you had a bad batch. Usually once established tetras are quite hardy. Are they showing marks, streaks, or white stringy poo?

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
There could be some that are healthy so I would advise against it. However it does sound like you had a bad batch. Usually once established tetras are quite hardy. Are they showing marks, streaks, or white stringy poo?
I don’t see any marks they just aren’t swimming that much. But I decided to move them all out just to be safe. I’d rather lose a few neons then the whole tank.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The temp you are keeping them at is not helping them. They do best in temps in the lower 70's

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
The temp you are keeping them at is not helping them. They do best in temps in the lower 70's
Everywhere Ives read says 72-80 degrees. What about ember tetras is it the same for them? What temp do you recommend exactly for the neons?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom