Neon tetras dropping like flies! Help!

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry that this is so long wanted to give all info. Please feel free to ask questions.

Four days ago I got my first fish for my first fish tank. I got 4 Sparkling Gourami, and 10 neon tetras. Now I only have 3:scry tetras: . The GouramI do not pay any attention to the neons. When I got the fish home I hung the bag at the side of the tank for about 15 mins then I added a half cup of tank water to the bag. 15 mins later I added an other half cup. 30 mins later I added an other. I repeated this every 30 mins for 2 more hours or so. Then I netted out the fish and put them in the tank. All 10 of the neons schoolled around the tank. Netted morning everyone was fine, but now I had a school of 3 and a school of 7. I fed them, removed the extra food and left for the day when I got home one of the three had died. I removed it and went to bed. The next morning 2 had died in the night. Now all I had wes the seven schooling together. Later in the morning on of the & seporated from the others. First he swam very choppy then he had a hard time staying up right. After the he wriggled around like a worm in water. 5 to 10 mins later he died. Same with the next four. What am I doing roung?

Tank info:
Cycled tank
Ammonia 0. NO2 0, NO3 10 ( Did not use a strip test)
55 G tank
Well water
75 F
pH 7.5
Hard water

Thanks for all your help,
Water Pixie

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry about your neons.
I don't see that you've done anything wrong. Neons are pretty sensitive little fish. Could also be you got a bad batch.
I didn't have any luck with neons either.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Neons are overbred at best, so it can be hard to find good stock.

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think they would. If you like the look of neons, cardinal tetras can be hardier too.

How long has your tank been cycled? Neons are susceptible to neon tetra disease, but they are also sensitive to water conditions, and won't do well in a newly-cycled tank.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the case of neons, it might actually be one of the few situations that using Petsmart is a good idea because they have a 14 day guarantee on fish and they will replace the dead neons. If your fish get through those first 14 days, most of them should survive for the long haul. Keep in mind that Petco will demand a water sample and test it with a strip before exchanging the fish. Petsmart did not for me.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water Pixie said:
Would Harlequin Rasbora be a hardier replacement?

Water Pixie
if you still want Tetra's, Bloodfins are great for a 20 gallon (I just got some my self, thursday, and I'm already in love. my Blue GouramI ignores them and they keep to themselves and play together ^_^). they're the guppies of the Tetra world and don't really care what kind of water their in, as long as its clean.

the Rasbora's should be ok, but I don't know much about them

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is newly cycled be the reading are good Am0. NO2 0, NO3 10.

Water Pixie

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu said:
I think they would. If you like the look of neons, cardinal tetras can be hardier too.

How long has your tank been cycled? Neons are susceptible to neon tetra disease, but they are also sensitive to water conditions, and won't do well in a newly-cycled tank.
All fish are susceptable to neon tetra disease, particularly tetras though.

I always hear how cardinals are hardier, but my petsmart (mines a good one) never has them because they die on them. They ALWAYS have neons, but the cardinals die.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jaysee said:
I always hear how cardinals are hardier, but my petsmart (mines a good one) never has them because they die on them. They ALWAYS have neons, but the cardinals die.
I buy mine from a LFS. When I got my neons, I asked about neons vs. cardinals. They carry a lot of both. They told me that they didn't have problems with either, and they didn't get complaints about either. I went with neons because they were cheaper, and ended up not having any problems.

Water Pixie, your neons may be having a hard time because the tank is too newly cycled.

Whatever you decide to get, you should quarantine first. Here's some links in case you don't have a q-tank set up already:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/quarantine-tank-setup.69750/

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did not us a Quarantine tank this time because all the fish were in the same tank at LFS and they were the only fish in my new tank. Will be getting or making a q-tank soon.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Water Pixie said:
I did not us a Quarantine tank this time because all the fish were in the same tank at LFS and they were the only fish in my new tank. Will be getting or making a q-tank soon.
In that case your tank IS a quarantine tank.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Water Pixie said:
Yeah, I figured. But when you add your next batch of fish, you'll have the sparkling gouramis and the surviving neons, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It would have been nice to known that neon were sensitive. I would NOT have gotten them so early I would have waited to get them. Every thing I have read said the were fairly hardy and no one told me an differently until now.

Live and Learn,
Water Pixie

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Water Pixie said:
It would have been nice to known that neon were sensitive. I would NOT have gotten them so early I would have waited to get them. Every thing I have read said the were fairly hardy and no one told me an differently until now.

Live and Learn,
Water Pixie
I know, right? There's so much conflicting information out there about this hobby!

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Newly cycled tank is not suitable for Neon Tetra.
From what I read, most people only add in Neon Tetra after a few months later.
Those who add Neon in a newly cycled tank will usually ended up with high mortality rate.

I have 12 out of 12 deaths because I did not climate them properly.

My older batch is doing great.
Once they live past the first 2-3 weeks, they will be fine.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry to hear about the neons. Some good information above.

Here is a link on Neon Tetra Disease. It also states that Cardinal Tetras are not at risk for this disease.

Best of luck with your tank and fish and please keep us posted.

Ken

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone for your gentle help. It has been about 24 hours since I have loss a fish. I am planning to do some extra water changes in hope of keeping the rest of the fish healthy.

Thanks,
Water Pixie

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think most of us had a rough start when we first started keeping fish. Then, the longer you go on, the more you learn or just plain figure out. This forum is an excellent source, especially I think for a beginner. I hope you take full advantage of browsing through the forum.

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I brought neon for the first batch and they are doing well for 4months until I gave them away

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads