Neon Tetras Chasing Eachother Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JJBriant, Apr 2, 2019.

1. JJBriantValued MemberMember

Hello, so I have a 29 gallon aquarium with 10 neon tetras in it. They are normally pretty chill and school together. Today I noticed they are chasing eachother around a lot and not really schooling. I am just wondering if this is normal or if I should be worried. I don’t think I see any visible damage. I’ve had them for a couple months and the water parameters are good. 7.6 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 30 nitrate. Just checked today. Oh and the temp is around 76 Fahrenheit

2. AJEFishlore VIPMember

They could be spawning

3. JJBriantValued MemberMember

Okay I looked up videos about it and it sure looks like what they are doing. I am not interested in keeping babies though, so I’ll just leave it be and I’m sure the other fish will eat the fry if they hatch

4. AJEFishlore VIPMember

They usually get eaten pretty fast

5. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Dont worry, spawning them is SUPER hard. They may be "acting out the ritual" but to actually get fertilized eggs would be a miracle, let alone eggs that hatched.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  6. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I’d agree it sounds like spawning behaviour, mine do the same every few days at the moment, the corys go nuts underneath them hoovering up any of the eggs

7. AJEFishlore VIPMember

It sounds like my guess was right for the first time ever :)

8. JJBriantValued MemberMember

Haha okay well thank you all for the reassurance. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t need to worry about them

9. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

My Neons spawn. I do not currently have the facility or need to raise the fry. I do not need many Neons and it is convenient to buy them when I do.

Mine seem to live for 3 years. I have raised numerous fry of other species in the past.

When the males fight for the right to mate with the females it disrupts the normal shoaling.

Males try to keep a spawning territory to themselves and drive other males out. They choose a suitable spot to spawn and defend it. Then, they persuade the females to join them.

In my observations this behaviour is encouraged by raising the temperature above the normal 72F.

In summer it may be impossible to prevent the temperature rising substantially above this.

I will switch my lights off completely during hot spells. Fortunately, hot spells also coincide with spells of bright light so the effect is not devestating to my plants..