Neon Tetras Chasing Each Other. Help!

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's part of their nature. Neons are highly active and like to swim around. It's better than just bobbing around in the water in a group and not really doing anything, like my Congos do...

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are they new, if so they could be setting a pecking order, it will settle a bit but they will still be very active, my Gold Barbs finally settled down but in the beginning they were pretty frantic, now they swim calmly together because who the top member of there school has been determined, it would be different if I added new members to the school as well when you have an established school its sometimes very difficult to add new members, and the newbies usually end up by themselves

Newbiee

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had 4 in my tank and then added 6 more a couple days ago so you are probably right

Shortfuuzze

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm about to do the same....55g is setup so I added 4 glowlight tetra, 4 blackfin/phantom tetras, another day or so and I'll add the 4 from the 26g.....hopefully they can all play mice haha

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds pretty normal Tetras tend to nip and pick at each other a bit when setting up territories then they also do that from time to time almost like they're playing, which they may be...but I don't speak fish so I don't know for sure

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Establishing a picking order or mating!! They won't really harm eachother.
Interesting... My tetras have been doing the same thing lately, chasing each other around and they been in the tank for almost a month now. I didn't think about the mating idea.

Catahoola

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do tetras have a specific season they mate in? I have noticed mine have been chasing each other around a lot and not schooling together so much. They were fine last week (they've been in the tank for 4-6 weeks now).

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that with some Tetra Species that they only school to feel safe and that when they feel comfortable in the tank they become more loosely schooled

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fish will always do that, no matter how peaceful. I was so worried about my platies a while ago because all they did was chase each other, but I learned that it is part of life, they establish a pecking order. I actually tried to stop the chasing by moving the most aggressive to a small tank. It did not help, it even depressed him(little to no movement, acted very skittish), so I put him back. Just expect chasing from basically every fish, and only start to worry if you see signs of harm.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I had a group of 20 Neons and they chased each other and nipped each others tails off to the point I lost the fish, all of them.

Ken

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

The Neons were in a 33g long (4' long) with Blue Kerri Tetras, Cory Cats and 3 very small (dime size) Angel Fish. I know for a fact the damage was not done by other tank mates. I saw them nipping each other with my own . It was sad to watch and I hate that I lost fish.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom