Neon Tetras & Bettas!! HELP!!

1. nap83 Initiate Member

2 of my Neon Tetras got caught in my power filter, which totally sucks... what step should i do to prevent this (filter or just the fish' carelesness??)?

another thing is that my Danios nipped the fins out of my Betta, he's in his won tank now but will HE EVER GROW BACK HIS FINS?

i'm a newbie so i need help.. thanks!

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The bettas fins should grow back but watch him close for an infection. I don't know how the neons got caught in the filter, but to prevent it in the future you could cover the uptake tube with a sponge or even a piece if panty hose. Let us know how they are.
    Carol

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Nap83, I really think a 10 gallon tank is too small for 20 fish. Fights among different fish are inevitable in a small and crowded tank, I believe. It's not good if you want to keep all of them in there for a long time. Either a larger tank or giving some of the fish back to the store would be the solution. Or, like I said in the previous post, carefully monitor the water and perform the necessary water changes which need to be more frequent with a lot of fish in a small tank. Plus, the tank needs to be cycled first. I know you wouldn't want to give your fish back. That is one of the things I would never want to do myself! I'm sorry and wish you lots of luck.

4. nap83 Initiate Member

thanks isabella. i've already put the betta in a new tank along with all the ghost shrimp & a snail & he's doing good.

i also notice the territoriality and playfulness of fish so i created hiding places & little homes for them while i "desperate" cycle. wish them luck!

5. Durbkat Member Member

For the betta put some aquarium salt in it to help fight infections and dieases on the fins. Thats what I use with my betta that was eating his fins. And why would you put 20 fish in a 10 gallon tank? 20 fish in a 20 gallon would even be to much, I feel sorr for the fish. You should return them or get another 10g or bigger tank and spilt them up so they have more room or return them to your lps.

6. nap83 Initiate Member

i get the rule of thumb rule, but i actually think that as long as you take very good of the fish & they have enough room to swim is that they'll be more than ok. whats the big fuss about space? have you seen the tanks where YOU buy fish from its like 40 tetras in a ten gallon, 10 gouramis in a 10 gallon! they die from not being well taken care of, & if they do seem to get bigger then, a new tank is essential.

7. Durbkat Member Member

Well theirs a reason lps overstock their tanks. #1 they have professional filtration systems that can handle the load. #2 the fish are only their for about a week and most are sold. #3 most lps treat a tank with a sick fish in it.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

A tank can be crowded and the fish survive, but with so many fish in there you will never see the behavior natural to each species. the LFS crowds their tanks and most of them have central systems that circulates clean water through their tanks constantly and the crowding is temporary because they are going home hopefully to an informed hobbyist who knows what their fish need to be happy not just survive. You asked for help and we've done our best. let us know if you need anything else and how your fish are.
    Carol