neon tetras + betta? 10 Gallon Tank 

meg1220

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all, I've really enjoyed reading your posts and seeing pictures of your lovely fish. I had bettas growing up, and would really like another. Last month, I got a 10 gal aquarium. I set it up with live plants, did fishless cycling, and after about a month, got three neon tetras. I wanted to have a small variety of fish, but now I'm seeing that I probably should've gotten a bigger tank! Anyway, I am probably going to get 2-3 more neons in a week or so, as I've been reading everywhere that they'll be happier that way. Any chance I can add a betta eventually, too? Or would that be over-crowded? Thanks for your suggestions!

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

I personally wouldn't add a betta to a tank with neons. They're known to nip and you might end up with a betta that has no tail.

Plus, with the addition of the other neons, you'd be cutting it close with space.

You could always set up a 5 gal tank for a betta! Then you could have your neon tank and a betta tank.

(We're enablers here...!)

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!! i agree bettas and neons will probably be battle.. ...if it were me, id get more tetras and just have them in there with maybe a few cories and im a HUGE betta lover ..the 5gal sounds awesome for one tho

meg1220

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shoot. When I got the tetras, I thought they'd be okay with a betta because they don't have flowing fins- I was worried about the betta attacking them, not the other way around! Who knew those little guys could be so aggressive?? I guess it looks like I'll just have the neons in that tank, which is okay, as I do enjoy the ones I have. And I probably will seriously consider getting a second tank for a betta eventually- the pictures people have posted here are making me jealous! Such pretty fish, and entertaining personalities.
And, thank you for the input.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm glad you've decided against a Betta and neons in the same tank.

> You can't be on this site too long before you get bitten by the Betta Bug. lol

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
great choice to not add the betta...have you seen what cories look like? adorable fish and always on the move...I just got a sterbai cory and they are to just die for..also the albinos are cute lil buggers...

meg1220

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No, don't know about cories... I'll go check them out right now. I guess my main concern will remain not over-crowding the tank.

To make this still betta-related: When I was growing up and had a betta, I kept him in a gallon size tank. What is the minimum amount of space you all think a betta needs? I've read anywhere from 1-5 gallons.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally I wouldn't keep a betta in anything less than 5 gallon's
Some members have theirs in as little as 2.5 gallon and they do very well.
It wouldn't be a good idea to go any less than that. Bettas are tropical and anything smaller is not only harder to keep warm but it's hard to maintain the water parameters. Also in 1 gallon, there isn't any swim room. Bettas love a good swim.

Here's some great info about Betta care:

meg1220

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will check that out. Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions. Already I can imagine myself adding tank after tank after tank after tank...

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
meg1220 said:
I will check that out. Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions. Already I can imagine myself adding tank after tank after tank after tank...
MST already.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's the betta's that start it usually... they're MTS carriers

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
meg1220 said:
Haha! MTS strikes again!

I only had one tank when I came to this site, too...

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had one 5 gal. when I came to this site....
4 tanks later...

bettafish2816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i joined this site in november, having never kept fish before....and now if you look in my signature you can see how many tanks i have three months later!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom