Neon Tetras are losing interest in API Tropical Fish Flakes

Señor Pescado

Lately, I've noticed that my neon tetras are actively refusing about half of the flakes I feed them. Sometimes, they swim close to a piece and then pass for another one. Other times, they eat a piece, only to spit it back out. Meanwhile, I'm watching at least half the food I put in their tank get sucked up by the filter. I don't remember this behavior when I first bought the fish or the food. I've been using the same container of API Tropical Fish Flakes for about 9 month now, so I'm wondering if they've gone stale. I'm curious about what some of you more experienced fish keepers think about stale food, API fish flakes in general, and what your opinions are about the better fish flakes on the market. Thanks.

API Fish Flakes.jpg

juniperlea

I have the same problem. All my community fish, including even the platties who will eat anything, ignore it. My fish are all happy and healthy, so I'm sure they eat it. However, I've noticed that HikarI Mircro bits are more popular for my Glass catfish and I think possibly the neons as well. And, I've gone back to Tetra color flakes as well as the Nutrafin Max flakes.

Señor Pescado

However, I've noticed that HikarI Mircro bits are more popular for my Glass catfish and I think possibly the neons as well. And, I've gone back to Tetra color flakes as well as the Nutrafin Max flakes.

That's funny. In the same tank as my Neons, I have a dwarf gourami, whom I feed HikarI Betta Bio-Gold pellets. The DG eats the API flakes with reckless abandon, and the Neon Tetras love the pellets. It's the exact opposite of what I set out for. Thanks for the feedback. Do your Neons eagerly eat the Tetra color flakes?

juniperlea

That's funny. In the same tank as my Neons, I have a dwarf gourami, whom I feed HikarI Betta Bio-Gold pellets. The DG eats the API flakes with reckless abandon, and the Neon Tetras love the pellets. It's the exact opposite of what I set out for. Thanks for the feedback. Do your Neons eagerly eat the Tetra color flakes?
I've never actually noticed the little neons being eager to eat anything!!! They're constantly hiding. But, they do eat the flakes. I suspect though that they might prefer the Micro Pelletts, just like the Glass catfish. I like to experiment with food by adding something different along with the usual. Most of the fish in my tanks like the HikarI Food Sticks. They float, but I water log and smash them up so that they sink immediatly and everyone (except neons!) come out from hiding for them.

KinderScout

What else do you feed? How often?Maybe they're bored! For the first few months we fed generic granules and, after a while, had a similar problem. We switched to HikarI Micro Pellets which all the fish really like but alternate those with a variety of frozen foods - daphnia, copepods, red plankton, minI bloodworm, tubifex etc (we get five assorted packs for ten quid) from our local fish store. We do overfeed too from a fish perspective (shrimp eat the leftovers). The fish are greedy and don't seem to know when they're full - so, like yours, will continue to take mouthfulls and spit them out 'cos they can't swallow any more!

kallililly1973

I'm a big fan of Omega One foods. I feed all my fish Omega One color enhancing tropical flakes, Omega sinking pellets Freeze dried and frozen bloodworms. Betta buffet pellets. Try out the frozen bloodworms i'm sure you will see a frenzy in your tank. Take a small cup add some tank water then drop a cube in and let it thaw then slowly pour the cup into the tank. ( depending on the total amount of fish in your tank ) Do you have a list of everyone in your tank the tank size and all the inhabitants to get a better idea as to how much to feed. Also how often do you feed?

juniperlea

I'm a big fan of Omega One foods. I feed all my fish Omega One color enhancing tropical flakes, Omega sinking pellets Freeze dried and frozen bloodworms. Betta buffet pellets. Try out the frozen bloodworms i'm sure you will see a frenzy in your tank. Take a small cup add some tank water then drop a cube in and let it thaw then slowly pour the cup into the tank. ( depending on the total amount of fish in your tank ) Do you have a list of everyone in your tank the tank size and all the inhabitants to get a better idea as to how much to feed. Also how often do you feed?
I originally bought the Omega frozen bloodworms from the LPS (120 mile round trip), but the fish loved them. Fortunately, my LFS is only about a 50 mile round trip away, so I bought the HikarI frozen bloodworms from them. The fish sometimes just plain ignore the Hikari. I'll try the Omega again (in one of those styrofoam coolers, as 120 miles leads to melting!). And, the Omega shrimp pelletts are a big hit, too.

juniperlea

Sorry, forgot about the rest of your message. I'm afraid to list tank inhabitants because I've broken every rule out there as far as quantity of specific species and I'm about 20% over-stocked! However, the water parameters are spot on, but high ph - (working on that). I feed once a day, but once in a while, I'll skip a day. Oh, and it's a 75g. Behavior and health is good (except for the poor Otos).

oldsalt777

Hello Fish Feeders...

Have you tried adding a little Spirulina to your fishes' diet. Zoo Med has a good product. I'll wager if you add some to your fish flakes, your fishes' appetite will improve. Variety is good. I feed a little of the flakes, freeze dried and some pellet and wafer foods. If your budget allows, add some frozen foods too. Tetra, Zoo Med, Omega One, Sally's San Fran and HikarI are all good brands.

Old

H Farnsworth

You just gotta switch it up. I keep shrimp, fish and algae based food available to provide a varied diet.

kallililly1973

Sorry, forgot about the rest of your message. I'm afraid to list tank inhabitants because I've broken every rule out there as far as quantity of specific species and I'm about 20% over-stocked! However, the water parameters are spot on, but high ph - (working on that). I feed once a day, but once in a while, I'll skip a day. Oh, and it's a 75g. Behavior and health is good (except for the poor Otos).
Don't feel bad about listing your inhabitants. Your question is about feeding not stocking. So if anyone questions it just brush it off and wait for more feeding suggestions. You know your tank best out of everyone. And if everyone in the tank looks happy and healthy then your doing something right
Edit: If I told you the stocking in my 55 I would have the stocking police at my door within the hour

Redshark1

Variety is the spice of life.

Loss of appetite can also point to a water quality problem.

Bear in mind that a Neon Tetra only needs half a flake a day to maintain its body weight.

juniperlea

Don't feel bad about listing your inhabitants. Your question is about feeding not stocking. So if anyone questions it just brush it off and wait for more feeding suggestions. You know your tank best out of everyone. And if everyone in the tank looks happy and healthy then your doing something right
Edit: If I told you the stocking in my 55 I would have the stocking police at my door within the hour
Thank you! I have about a dozen different species in the 75g, but the numbers are wrong. For example, I now only have one platy, but as they're terrible poopers, he's going to continue to be alone. He's not lonely though. He hangs out with the H rasboras and sometimes the betta girls. I'm not at all sure why his co-horts all died, one right after the other, shortly after I bought them.

kallililly1973

A 75 has a nice footprint to host a variety of fish. My 55 has about 7-8 different species. Guppies (40-50 of all sizes) , Pepper corys( 5 but soon to add 2 more that are being raised in my cory fry tank), Siamese algae eaters (2 both pretty good size 2-3") a rubber lip and common pleco RL is about 2" Common is about 4", 5 serpae tetras, 12 Vonrio tetras, 4-5 otto cats, 2-3 nerite snails, a good handful of ramshorns, and a male Pearl Gourami about 2-3". My filtration is a Fluval406,an AC70 a corner sponge and a dual sponge filter. Heavily planted and weekly 50-75% wc's.

KinderScout

Ah Now I feel so much better about our massively overstocked 120 litre (30USG) Fish happiness is everything and is the best guide! Doesn't look that full normally but when feeding time comes around....eek! so likewise have not yet listed the recently added six Cardinal Tetras on our bio!

juniperlea

A 75 has a nice footprint to host a variety of fish. My 55 has about 7-8 different species. Guppies (40-50 of all sizes) , Pepper corys( 5 but soon to add 2 more that are being raised in my cory fry tank), Siamese algae eaters (2 both pretty good size 2-3") a rubber lip and common pleco RL is about 2" Common is about 4", 5 serpae tetras, 12 Vonrio tetras, 4-5 otto cats, 2-3 nerite snails, a good handful of ramshorns, and a male Pearl Gourami about 2-3". My filtration is a Fluval406,an AC70 a corner sponge and a dual sponge filter. Heavily planted and weekly 50-75% wc's.
I always felt burdened with guilt every time I read the results of my 75 gallon on Aqadvisor. I was certain that I was a fish abuser.. Your 55 gallon is much more fish-p.c. than my 75g, and my 20 gallon long! I'm still a sinner against fish!

Vinh

Try this...At first they all might not like it,feed a few then later when they enjoy it,they want it more but do not over feed...You might check same seller at ebay,he may sell cheaper...with same amount.BUT SLOWER DELIVERY TIME...
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Foods-Inc-Bloodworms-Bloodworms-1/dp/B01BGE73IK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3NNDSYIWKDZQC&keywords=dry+blood+worms&qid=1575129949&sprefix=Dry+blood+worm,aps,178&sr=8-1

Or if you want the better on quality ...check this link

juniperlea

Try this...At first they all might not like it,feed a few then later when they enjoy it,they want it more but do not over feed...You might check same seller at ebay,he may sell cheaper...with same amount.
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Foods-Inc-Bloodworms-Bloodworms-1/dp/B01BGE73IK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3NNDSYIWKDZQC&keywords=dry+blood+worms&qid=1575129949&sprefix=Dry+blood+worm,aps,178&sr=8-1
Great tip. Thanks. I put in my amazon cart. The reviews were excellent.

MissPanda

My cardinals are picky too. Try frozen Daphnia. I have a community so I'm always putting new foods in there. I noticed mine doing the same thing, avoiding flakes or spitting them out and then leaving the feeding zone. I tried daphnia and they went nuts. Haha

juniperlea

I did a little research on the food that Vinh recommended. That company has a lot of variety. I was particularly interested in the beef heart flakes. Gonna take a break now, I'm suddenly hungry. Think I'll make some beans and sardines on toast.

Vinh

I did a little research on the food that Vinh recommended. That company has a lot of variety. I was particularly interested in the beef heart flakes. Gonna take a break now, I'm suddenly hungry. Think I'll make some beans and sardines on toast.
Yes! It is big company...they have a lot of different food items .Click on "other item "over ebay or their name over amazon to see what you want. Bon appétit !

jpm995

Ive found in a community enviornment the active feeders triggers the slow feeders into action. My neons and cardinals may no go to the top too often but actively chase sinking flakes. Probably a good idea to vary their diet, the frozen bloodworms brighten their colors also.

Señor Pescado

What else do you feed? How often?Maybe they're bored!
Aside from the daily API flakes and HikarI Betta Bio-Gold pellets, I feed them HikarI freeze-dried blood worms about once to twice a week.
I've always thought the Omega One brand looks like high quality stuff; I'll give it a try. Do you think there is any possibility of introducing unwanted pathogens with frozen bloodworms? I only have 8 neons, the 1 dwarf gourami, and an amano shrimp in the tank. I feed twice daily, about what they can eat within three minutes.
Have you tried adding a little Spirulina to your fishes' diet. Zoo Med has a good product. I'll wager if you add some to your fish flakes, your fishes' appetite will improve.
I'll give that a shot, thanks!
Loss of appetite can also point to a water quality problem.
Bear in mind that a Neon Tetra only needs half a flake a day to maintain its body weight.
I had no idea they could suffice on so little. That helps, thanks. Water quality is good: 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrate, 10-20ppm nitrate.

kallililly1973

Do you think there is any possibility of introducing unwanted pathogens with frozen bloodworms?
That I honestly have no idea. But i've started feeding them about a month or so ago with no ill effects to any of my fish.

jpm995

That I honestly have no idea. But i've started feeding them about a month or so ago with no ill effects to any of my fish.
I think the freezing process would kill any pathogens. I used to feed live tublfex worms and brine shrimp for years to my fussy eaters [elephant nose, fire eel] and never had any issues, people overstate the dangers.

KinderScout

LOL I'd agree and disagree As long as the food comes from a reputable manufacturer then chances are low but freezing won't kill pathogens (it just slows them down). We use TMC Gamma frozen blister packs which are irradiated with gamma rays after freezing to make sure they're sterile. Don't think that brand is available outside the UK but check out any manufacturer online.

Momgoose56

Lately, I've noticed that my neon tetras are actively refusing about half of the flakes I feed them. Sometimes, they swim close to a piece and then pass for another one. Other times, they eat a piece, only to spit it back out. Meanwhile, I'm watching at least half the food I put in their tank get sucked up by the filter. I don't remember this behavior when I first bought the fish or the food. I've been using the same container of API Tropical Fish Flakes for about 9 month now, so I'm wondering if they've gone stale. I'm curious about what some of you more experienced fish keepers think about stale food, API fish flakes in general, and what your opinions are about the better fish flakes on the market. Thanks.

API Fish Flakes.jpg
Have you considered this? Feed less.
When I'm not hungry, you can put a gourmet meal in front of me and I won't eat either. Feed what they will eat in a minute or two. Just a suggestion...

KinderScout

You could try giving your fish a complete feeding break for a couple of days. Our fishes appetites go up and down and our rasboras act like yours at the end of their feed when they're full. We notice cos we continue feeding to get to the bottom feeders and shrimp. When feeding dry food, we hold a pinch under the water-line and release very slowly - we can see the rasboras feeding first, then when they're full food sinks further to the tetras, then hits the bottom for the shrimp/cories - that way we get an idea of the appetite of all the fish and very little ends up in the filter intake at the surface (though occasionally a shrimp will swim up and latch onto the ends of my fingers!)

Señor Pescado

Have you considered this? Feed less.
When I'm not hungry, you can put a gourmet meal in front of me and I won't eat either. Feed what they will eat in a minute or two. Just a suggestion...
This is occurring even when I feed once a day, when the first few flakes come passing by.

Momgoose56

This is occurring even when I feed once a day, when the first few flakes come passing by.
As long as they're healthy looking I don't think you have anything to worry about. Do you have lights on a timer after dark? Some fish don't eat as much in winter especially if their tanks are even slightly cooler than summer if their daylight is shorter. Just the nature of things.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank Fish won't eat flakes
Replies
Views
Fish5234
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
david1978