Neon tetras and salt

Jake98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My first question is why are you adding salt to that tank, is there a reason such as a medication? Neons are very sensitive to salt and water chemistry as are most characin's but neons in particular. They do of coarse have some osmotic regulatory ability, this does not mean they will thrive in salt though. If you do add them be sure to acclimate them very slowly, and preferably dont dose salt unless you have to.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Neons will nearly always die in salted tanks. Is there some reason you're salting this one, or some reason you feel you need to move them over?

NeonFlux

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would avoid salt, unless you are trying to help your neons with some diseases. Most tropical fish can stay in tip-top health shape without the need of salt, unless you're talking about using salt with brackish fish, then yes, some salt is important, but for your neons, no. So leave the salt aside.

Nonetheless, if you are to use salt for treating a disease, introduce the salt very slowly, and also remove all the plants before salting; most cannot tolerate it.

FishGuy101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the reason i'm adding salt is the tank was given to me with a few fish and shes had them for a long time and shes been adding salt... should i wait a few weeks do a few water changes without adding salt and then add the neons ?

she also gave me test strips how do i use these ?

NeonFlux

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, do the water changes to gradually get rid of the salt. And in order to use those test strips, you would dip them a strip into a container with the tank's water, and check for your parameters.. however the strips are not very accurate, I would advise you get a freshwater drop test kit by API. These read fairly quick and are really accurate if you want to check your water parameters.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What fish are in the tank? That would be the next question. They might be fish that require brackish conditions.

FishGuy101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
umm 2 phantom tetras 1 rainbowfish (soon to be sold) one black plecostomus with gold spots and a dark brown pleco with black tiger stripes a cat fish with red fins and spotted body 3 little fish with black and white spotted tails and a red face sorry i don't know the names they were kinda just given to me :/

utkgreg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
**Please note that the author or this post is by no means a scientist, but merely a hobbyist. Please do not shoot the messenger for giving his honest opinion.**

It's actually not a strange habit by any means. Adding a small amount of aquarium or kosher salt to freshwater community is a long tradition. It is still extremely common and sold at just about any pet store that carries aquatic products. When I first re-started in the hobby, I asked about the products. I've found that PetSmart, PetCo and the majority of the LFS in my area add aquarium salt to all of their setups.

It is commonly believed to be a health boost as it inhibits the intake of nitrites into the fish's system, and a general "tonic" helps prevent parasite issues. I know that this "common belief" is starting to lose its foothold in many communities, however.

I'm of the opinion that this is one of the great ongoing debates regarding fishkeeping. For every article that I have found/read denouncing the use of aquarium salt, I've found another equally convincing one shouting its praises. I believe that slowly but surely, aquarium salt will lose its popularity, just like carbon is losing its foothold. Speaking of, if you want to see another great debate, look up the ongoing discussions on carbon! (Every filter I'm aware of comes with carbon, and stores still sell like it crazy, but when you come on to forums like this one, it denounced by about two-thirds of the forum population for general use and recommended for only specific conditions.) As a side-note, I don't use carbon in my tanks lol.

If upon doing your research and coming to your own conclusion you do decide to use aquarium salt, you will need to monitor your salinity. Keep in mind that as water evaporates, the salt stays behind. So if you just keep adding salt again and again, it will build up to toxic levels.

Suffice it to say, I don't recommend salt myself unless you are willing to go through the extra precautions to make sure it's used appropriately. I will say, however, that I do use it. I can justify it through the fact that I have fish in my community tank, however, that thrive in water all the way up to brackish water. And incidentally, while this by no means a scientific observation, I can attest that my tank (including my neons) generally looks healthier, more vibrant and happy since I did start using it.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tha ks for your post @utkgreg. My post wasn't meand to be offensive or what so ever, but it's true (also about carbon-use). To me salt and scalelessfish aren't a good combination. Didn't know this "habit" was pretty common.

utkgreg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DoubleDutch said:
Tha ks for your post @utkgreg. My post wasn't meand to be offensive or what so ever, but it's true (also about carbon-use). To me salt and scalelessfish aren't a good combination. Didn't know this "habit" was pretty common.
No worries! I didn't think your post was offensive by any means. You stood up for what you believe in. I just have a nasty habit of playing devil's advocate lol

FishGuy101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good news so what are the names of the fish I described? And how long till the salt levels diminish enough for me to add neons?

Fish Fan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't want to throw a wrench into the mix...but I use salt and have always had neons. In fact my neons seem healthier and hardier with the salt than without out it for what it's worth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom