Neon tetra with red gills

PNWBettas

I’ve had this group of 6 neons for almost 2 months now. They came to me as a surrendered tank along with a betta who has since passes. Now it’s just the 6 of them in a 10 gal. They have bright red gills, and are more pale in color. I did two rounds of antibiotic treatments with kanaplex and Furan-2 as I assumed it was bacterial. I also did one round of prazipro in case it was flukes. Nothing has worked. They have stayed the same and I haven’t lost one yet. One has a crooked spine which looked like NTD but still no losses after months. They eat well and are active. I have another school of 8 healthy neons in my 16 gal that are soon going into a 72. I really want to combine them but not if something is up with their health. I just moved and moved the tank so all parameters are 0 currently but it was cycled before and I kept the substrate and media wet the entire time. I believe it should have kept the cycle but I’ll monitor it.

any ideas?

jkkgron2

Could it be ammonia burns from the previous tank conditions?

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Could it be ammonia burns from the previous tank conditions?
Wouldn’t it be gone by now? Being in a cycled tank for almost 2 months?

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Could you please place a pic of the fish and a tankpic ? Why exactly did you think it was bacterial.

The redness in the fish is another redness than in the gills. The gills in fact should be a bit red cause blood "surfaces" there to take in oxygen. As long as they're eating I doubt there is a serious issue.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Wouldn’t it be gone by now? Being in a cycled tank for almost 2 months?
I’m not sure, I wonder if it’s possible for them to look permanently burned? If they seem healthy besides that I wouldn’t worry much, just keep monitoring them

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Could you please place a pic of the fish and a tankpic ? Why exactly did you think it was bacterial.

The redness in the fish is another redness than in the gills. The gills in fact should be a bit red cause blood "surfaces" there to take in oxygen. As long as they're eating I doubt there is a serious issue.
They hide a lot, they are behind those rocks. Their gills are bright red and their overall color is muted compared to my other neons. I’ll show a comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Personally I think that specific one misses a.part of its gillplate or it stayd more open.
They don't look ill to me and pretty colored but being "pale" a bit and the hiding I think has to do with the ligjt substrate and the brigjt lighting. The others are.on darker substrate and feel more secure cause of that. These fish have a dark back to be less visible for predators above dark substrate.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

Personally I think that specific one misses a.part of its gillplate or it stayd more open.
They don't look ill to me and pretty colored but being "pale" a bit and the hiding I think has to do with the ligjt substrate and the brigjt lighting. The others are.on darker substrate and feel more secure cause of that. These fish have a dark back to be less visible for predators above dark substrate.
Do you believe it would be safe to combine the schools? I really want these guys to have a bigger group and I’m not personally a fan of leaving them in a 10 gal. I just don’t want to risk spreading anything.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Do you believe it would be safe to combine the schools? I really want these guys to have a bigger group and I’m not personally a fan of leaving them in a 10 gal. I just don’t want to risk spreading anything.

I personally think it is safe though combining is always a "risk".
Watch them closely for some time, how they behave. They don't look ill to me and if they eat and behave normal I'd give a try.

Of course I can't guarantee anything but I'd dare to take that risk if it were my fish.

Upvote 0

PNWBettas

I personally think it is safe though combining is always a "risk".
Watch them closely for some time, how they behave. They don't look ill to me and if they eat and behave normal I'd give a try.

Of course I can't guarantee anything but I'd dare to take that risk if it were my fish.
Makes sense. I may try and combine them in the 16 gallon alone with no other fish so the only risk is too the neons. Then if it goes well move them to the big tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BoeTheBetta
Replies
Views
Wuvbug1
Replies
Views
Broggy
Replies