Neon Tetra With Missing Eye?!

colemcfarlane

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Apologies for the bad quality photos, but neons are fast! :nailbiting:

I've came home from work today and when my being came to the glass as I went to feed them I noticed one had a missing eye! :bigtears: he seems fine otherwise, still swimming around with the other neons and eating just the same and his eye socket doesn't look inflamed or too red! My neons are kept with black neons and a male betta and I had thought the betta might have nipped at the neon but he honestly shows no interest in any of the other fish in the tank, he's the most peaceful betta I've ever had out of the 5 I've owned!

Anyone have any idea what could have happened?

Tank details:
50L
26°C
Nitrates/nitrites/ammonia all coming up normal
1 male Betta
6 Black Neon Tetras
6 Neon Tetras

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm almost sure it was the betta no matter how peaceful he seems. It just takes one bad day for them. As for the neon, begin treatment with a fungal preventative or add in some indian almond leaves to deter infection. I would also watch him closely to make sure nothing develops.

colemcfarlane

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm almost sure it was the betta no matter how peaceful he seems. It just takes one bad day for them. As for the neon, begin treatment with a fungal preventative or add in some indian almond leaves to deter infection. I would also watch him closely to make sure nothing develops.
Thank you, I've already started anti fungal treatment as a precaution and I'm keeping a close watch on him. The only thing I could think of was the betta taking a nip but it seems very out of the blue as he's never bothered with the neons before! I'm going to watch him though and separate the fish if needs be.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah the betta could not be safe in their. Bettas hate anything that moves fast and has lots of colors or if it small enough to snack on. What are neon? A small fast colorful fish. Bettas would try to kill them if aggressive enough. Be careful.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom