Neon Tetra with blistered lip

Diver697

Reaction score
HI All,
I am new to the forum and wonder if you good people could help, I have a neon tetra with a blister on its lips a second neon has started with the same condition, could any one please advice what the condition is and a suitable treatment, I have them in a quarantine tank at the moment they seem fit and health and eating ok.

Thank you all
Diver697

IMG-20200206-WA0001.jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome here! I think that's called cottonmouth. Not a disease pro but if you look that up I think there should be some help out there for your neon. Good luck. A201

OP
D

Diver697

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Welcome here! I think that's called cottonmouth. Not a disease pro but if you look that up I think there should be some help out there for your neon. Good luck. A201
Thank you

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never seen Mouth Rot look like the blisters on the pictured Neon Tetra.
Looks more like a viral growth.
IMO, as long as the infected fish are in a QT tank, go ahead & treat the situation like a bacterial infection. Furan 2 & Kanaplex are the most recommended meds.
Keep in mind that eroded mouth tissue doesn't regenerate. Chances are if the infected fish survives the antibiotics, he likely will have a gaping, lipless hole for a mouth.
If the growth is viral, there is no treatment. The growth might continue to expand or eventually heal up.
IMO, really not much chance for recovery. Sorry you're having to deal with this issue. Hang in there things will get better.

OP
D

Diver697

Reaction score
HI,
Thank you for your quick reply, I will try treating this with your suggested treatments.
I will monitor to see how the fish get on with there deformity and come to a decision on there future.
Thanks
Russ

New Threads