Neon Tetra was stuck in filter intake!

Ir3land

Hi! This is like my 90th post today so apparently today is all dah problems day. I was making a post when I look over at my tank and one of my Neon Tetras was halfway stuck in hang on the back filter’s intake! I gently helped him out but it gave me a scare! What should I do to prevent this?

Yeoy

A lot of times you can use a cut off piece of stocking or something similar with a rubber band to cover the intake. Otherwise you can often buy aquarium safe stainless steel guards that fit to most intakes. Hope he's ok!

Upvote 0

Nickguy5467

I use pre-sponges for this reason

Upvote 0

Ir3land

A lot of times you can use a cut off piece of stocking or something similar with a rubber band to cover the intake. Otherwise you can often buy aquarium safe stainless steel guards that fit to most intakes. Hope he's ok!
I use pre-sponges for this reason
Fluval sell pre- sponges of pre filters for round intakes.

lots of other manufacturers sell them to.

Fluval EDGE Pre Filter Sponge
Thanks everyone! I’ll check all of those out. I think my little Neon should be okay, he couldn’t have been in there more then 15 seconds.

Upvote 0

Nickguy5467

since were on the subject of pre sponges? i always forget they exist so i only clean my hob filters. does that matter? sorry op. quick question :p then we all know

Upvote 0

MacZ

May I comment that a healthy neon tetra would not have been sucked up a filter intake?

Upvote 0

Ir3land

May I comment that a healthy neon tetra would not have been sucked up a filter intake?
Oh no! I’ve been having a lot of problems as of yesterday so I’ll see what’s going on. Thank you
since were on the subject of pre sponges? i always forget they exist so i only clean my hob filters. does that matter? sorry op. quick question :p then we all know
Great question

Upvote 0

ferg42995

I don't know the answer but I never clean mine. That said, my shrimp often climb onto the pre-filter sponge and clean it for me.

Upvote 0

Ir3land

I don't know the answer but I never clean mine. That said, my shrimp often climb onto the pre-filter sponge and clean it for me.
The aquarium Roombas

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I find the flow slows down when it’s been to long since my pre filters have had a rinse.

I my tank with my stocking and my feeding routine it’s a little over a month between cleaning.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

The flow will drastically get much lower. I didn't clean mine for a whole month, that's how I know :)

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I guess I should show the size of my pre filters as I believe the overall size makes a difference as to how often they need cleaning?
Cut from large pore Fluval foam. At 3 plus inches they are possibly to big for a pretty pretty tank ? image.jpg

Upvote 0

Ir3land

O
make me think of Samba, now Shrimp are dancing >.>
Oh my
Speaking of prefilters I got some yesterday :). I’m currently working on finding a better water source cause my tap has Nitrates. Thanks peeps for your help :)

Upvote 0

Lucy

While all the sponge over intakes is great info, it took the thread in a different direction than it should have gone. So please don't ask your own questions in someone else's thread.

Here is the most relevant post pertaining to the issue.

Healthy fish don't normally get stuck on filters.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hi Lucy, Ir3lands tetra was stuck IN the filter intake. Not ON the filter intake.
I writing about a fix for the problem Ir3land has he did write in post #8 that it was a good question as he did not know how often to clean the product that would fix his problem of fish swimming IN to the filter. Having given a time frame on post #12 I felt an explanation and photo was appropriate in #14.

MacZ a small inquisitive fish or fry is likely to get stuck IN an unprotected HOB filter intake. As I am sure you are aware fry and shrimp can often be found inside the workings of filters. I agree a healthy fish will not get stuck ON a filter but that has nothing to do with a neon tetra getting trapped IN the intake .

Lucy I think even Yeoy in post #2 read the question correctly and answered that a cover is required on filters when you have small fish?

Upvote 0

Lucy

I see where I might have misunderstood the OP's question.
However, if members ask their own questions in someone else's thread it takes away from the OP. At least 6 posts are addressing another member's question.
That's called hi-jacking an should be avoided.

Upvote 0

MacZ

MacZ a small inquisitive fish or fry is likely to get stuck IN an unprotected HOB filter intake. As I am sure you are aware fry and shrimp can often be found inside the workings of filters.

For fry and young shrimp that is true, but as there was no mention of the neon tetra being a juvenile (the adjective "little" came across more like a belittlement, not an actual "small for a neon".) I assumed at least a younger adult. And those should also not end up inside the intake.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom