Neon Tetra W/ Ick + Ntd

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello,
    My family and I have a Juwel Rio 240l tank with 8 neon tetras, 6 panda cories, 5 male fancy guppies, 4 honey gouramis and 1 juvenile super red bristlenose pleco.
    Before one of my neons lost its red colour and I thought it was neon tetra disease. But after a while it became red again.
    Another neon's red colour became pale again about a week or two ago and I have now spotted some white spots on his side and pectoral fin, and I'm guessing it's neon tetra disease and ick. He also doesn't shoal with the other neons.
    I had a guppy die of dropsy and a neon die of NTD I think and I couldn't save them.
    Is there anything I can do to save the neon? (I don't have a hospital/quarantine tank)
    If medications are required, what changes will it make? Will medications affect the cories and plecos cuz of their hard scales?
    Thank you and have a nice day.

Attached Files:

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I'd get it out a.s.a.p. and euthanise.
    This doesn't look good at all.
    Though NTD is quite rare this is seriously looking like it in my opinion.

3. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thank you for the reply but I don't know if I'm ready to euthanise him :(
    Is there any other way such as meds?

4. DoubleDutch

If it is real NTD it is untreatable and will be lethal for the complete stock if you don't act quite fast.

There are so many threads about NTD which definitely not NTD.

I hope I am wrong but out of hundreds of threads this one I think is quite alarming and I would seriously remove this fish.

Better be sure than sorry !!!!!

5. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

If I don't want to kill him, can I put him anywhere else?

6. DoubleDutch

Yes

7. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

8. BHK3

BHK3 Well Known Member Member

I was recently dealing with an ongoing illness in my Neons. We don't believe it was NTD, but probably a related sporozoan infection. You fish definitely looks to have classic NTD. Here is a page I was given with a recommended course of treatment: http://www.google.com/2007/02/neon-tetra-disease.html. Sadly, even if followed to the T, it is usually not effective.

@DoubleDutch, do you know what effect Erythromycin, Paraguard, Metronidazole, and Furan-2 would have on corys or plecos? Should she treat the other fish as well, or just the Neons?