Neon Tetra vs Lambchop Rasbora

JPH1970
A local fish store has both of these fish that caught my eye. I originally thought I'd add a school of the neon tetras. I think they'd look nice with the glofish I have but then I read something here about them being fragile.

These lambchops would look nice too, I think.the reddish coloration makes them stand out.

Should I take the chance with neons or go with the lambchops?

Btw....these are the only two choices I want. No other suggestions please

JLAquatics
I really love both fish and have them toegether in my 29 Gallon Aquascape, so I can speak from personal experience! Here is an old picture I have of both fish.

0301211323.jpg

As for decisions, it really depends on personal preference. Lambchops can be vulnerable to disease just like Neons, and both fish are about the same difficulty level in regards to tank setup and parameters (they are both hardy if placed in an established mature aquarium). I also would have a quarantine setup for any new fish you get just in case ick or another breakout occurs in your schoolers, you wouldn't want that spreading to your main fish. My fish had the start of disease and I caught it quickly enough to not have any deaths. I also think it would depend on your other fish with which fish would have a better contrast in your aquarium as well. As with all schoolers, you should get preferably more than 6 of one type to make them feel more comfortable. However, when you go and check out both fish, check for deformities and illness in their stock. If the Neons or Lambchops do not look healthy and there are many dead fish in their display tanks, it may be wise to wait.

Note: The Lambchops are more interactive when it comes to food and school a little more often.
The Neons are more eyecatching fish but are not as interactive as the Rasboras. They are also more skiddish, so I would only get these if your tank is densely planted or decorated.

JPH1970
JLAquatics said:
I really love both fish and have them toegether in my 29 Gallon Aquascape, so I can speak from personal experience! Here is an old picture I have of both fish.

0301211323.jpg

As for decisions, it really depends on personal preference. Lambchops can be vulnerable to disease just like Neons, and both fish are about the same difficulty level in regards to tank setup and parameters (they are both hardy if placed in an established mature aquarium). I also would have a quarantine setup for any new fish you get just in case ick or another breakout occurs in your schoolers, you wouldn't want that spreading to your main fish. My fish had the start of disease and I caught it quickly enough to not have any deaths. I also think it would depend on your other fish with which fish would have a better contrast in your aquarium as well. As with all schoolers, you should get preferably more than 6 of one type to make them feel more comfortable. However, when you go and check out both fish, check for deformities and illness in their stock. If the Neons or Lambchops do not look healthy and there are many dead fish in their display tanks, it may be wise to wait.

Note: The Lambchops are more interactive when it comes to food and school a little more often.
The Neons are more eyecatching fish but are not as interactive as the Rasboras. They are also more skiddish, so I would only get these if your tank is densely planted or decorated.
The big thing for me is how my son will react to the fish. Yes, he appreciates color so the neons get the nod there but he would probably get excited to see the lambchops be more interactive. He loves to watch me feed the fish....I'm not ready for him to feed them though LOL. his job is to help me feed the gerbils :)

If I get a chance today, I'll take him to this fish store. Today's the day of the sale.

Thank you for the write up

TClare
Just a quick word about neons, a lot of people seem to say they are fragile and prone to illness. Perhaps that is the case in the US but mine have always been really healthy, and you can’t beat them for colour. I have not kept rasboras so cannot comment about them.

Fisch
TClare said:
Just a quick word about neons, a lot of people seem to say they are fragile and prone to illness. Perhaps that is the case in the US but mine have always been really healthy, and you can’t beat them for colour. I have not kept rasboras so cannot comment about them.
Seeing you are from Ecuador, I could imagine that you have access to wild caught fish or locally bred fish? That would support the statement that they are overbred in the US and Europe with a degeneration of resistance.

JPH1970
Fisch said:
Seeing you are from Ecuador, I could imagine that you have access to wild caught fish or locally bred fish? That would support the statement that they are overbred in the US and Europe with a degeneration of resistance.
I could ask the store but chances are he just gets them from a supplier here in the USA

Edit....

I decided to take a chance on the neons . The Lambchops weren't part of the weekend sale and the neons all looked healthy and vibrant.

And with the store credit I had, I got 11 neons for the price of 2

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom