Neon Tetra Swimming Crookedly And Gasping

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by apoorlydrawnape, Apr 11, 2017.

1. apoorlydrawnape

apoorlydrawnape New Member Member

My water is good. This neon tetra was first looking a little bloated last Friday so I gave him a boiled pea. He got a little bit of it. Since there he's been looking more shiny than normal and he can't swim straight. He keeps turning to the side and falls when he goes very high. He spins in circles, gasps, and flops his tail continuously. He also seems to be in a bad mood, he chases away fish that get too close to him. I'm really worried.

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Hi!
    Could you please expand on your water being good? What are the parameters, and when was your last water change? Do you have sufficient air exchange (surface agitation of some sort). Gasping is commonly elevated ammonia levels, or low oxygen.

3. OP
    OP
    apoorlydrawnape

apoorlydrawnape New Member Member

i change about 50% water every 2 weeks. ammonia = 0 and the stuff in this tank is not new, it's been cycled. air exchange, no. i'm adding an air stone tomorrow probably.

the fish died. why!!

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

What are your nitrite, nitrate and pH readings for the tank?

Sometimes though, fish just get sick and die and it has nothing to do with anything you have done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice