Neon tetra- spawning or fighting?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,156
I saw two males fighting. For a long time LOL!

Do they have a favourite spot they are fighting over?

A male Neon Tetra chooses a suitable spawning spot, defends it from other males and tries to entice a female to spawn with him there. The eggs look tiny and transparent to me.

My Cardinal Tetras spawn as a whole group.

I notice my Neon Tetras fight more when the temperature is higher than 74F.

In winter my Neons are at 72-74F. In summer it is difficult to keep them cool. At the moment we have a heatwave (well warm for Britain LOL!) and I have my lights off. The temp is 76F today, 78F yesterday. The plants are OK because early morning sun comes into the room (if there is any, this is Britain LOL!).

It can be a bit alarming when equally matched fish fight for a long time. I wanted mine to stop. However, I didn't see much damage so I didn't intervene. I think they have to sort it out themselves.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,901
Redshark1 said:
I saw two males fighting. For a long time LOL!

Do they have a favourite spot they are fighting over?

A male Neon Tetra chooses a suitable spawning spot, defends it from other males and tries to entice a female to spawn with him there. The eggs look tiny and transparent to me.

My Cardinal Tetras spawn as a whole group.

I notice my Neon Tetras fight more when the temperature is higher than 74F.

In winter my Neons are at 72-74F. In summer it is difficult to keep them cool. At the moment we have a heatwave (well warm for Britain LOL!) and I have my lights off. The temp is 76F today, 78F yesterday. The plants are OK because early morning sun comes into the room (if there is any, this is Britain LOL!).

It can be a bit alarming when equally matched fish fight for a long time. I wanted mine to stop. However, I didn't see much damage so I didn't intervene. I think they have to sort it out themselves.
Alright thank you. Yes, they do it for FOREVER! There's three of them that are like active and fighting and the other three are hiding. Should I be alarmed? Or are they just trying to stay out of the way?
 

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,156
On the plus side they are healthy if they've got all this energy to fight. I think its a sign that you have provided them with a great home.

I guess with new healthy fish you've provided all this new real estate to fight over!

New fish are usually young and fit. Big enough to sell but only recently old enough to spawn.

I think you may see some torn fins resulting from this but in good conditions they usually heal up quickly.

Is the temperature under control?

Are the other three Neons female? If so it makes sense to stay out of the way until the pecking order is sorted out. The females may not yet have any eggs to lay anyway.

And some people call Neons boring! Not me!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,901
Redshark1 said:
On the plus side they are healthy if they've got all this energy to fight. I think its a sign that you have provided them with a great home.

I guess with new healthy fish you've provided all this new real estate to fight over!

New fish are usually young and fit. Big enough to sell but only recently old enough to spawn.

I think you may see some torn fins resulting from this but in good conditions they usually heal up quickly.

Is the temperature under control?

Are the other three Neons female? If so it makes sense to stay out of the way until the pecking order is sorted out. The females may not yet have any eggs to lay anyway.

And some people call Neons boring! Not me!
I'm not sure how to tell their gender. I guess that's a plus, lol. Wdym by under control?
 

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,156
The shape of males and females is really different.

Look it up. You should know.

Can you keep the temp at 74F? ~That will help.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,901
Redshark1 said:
The shape of males and females is really different.

Look it up. You should know.

Can you keep the temp at 74F? ~That will help.
I will look that up.
My only adjustable heater is water logged, so I pulled it out of my betta tank before it killed them, should I try using this? I don't want water to reach the heating part, or it'll explode
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,901
I can't tell. Some are smaller than ohters, but other than that, I don't notice any differences
 

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,156
Don't use a heater that has water inside it. That must be disposed of.

But a heater is normally needed in cold weather to keep the temp up at 74F because it shouldn't fall below 68F for Neons.

Here where I am it is summer and the room temp sometimes goes up above 74F. On very hot days I just switch off my tank lights to limit the temperature increase. My plants are OK because my tank gets some light from the window.

FishGirl115 said:
I can't tell. Some are smaller than ohters, but other than that, I don't notice any differences
OK no worries. Females are deeper bodied than males. Its so they can carry the eggs. Males are much slimmer. Its most likely the males that are fighting and the females are staying out of the way. But sometimes less aggressive males will stay out of the fighting.

But there's not much difference between male and female especially when they are young. You will learn the difference by observing. Later you will tell at a glance.

But for now, if you want you can look at my picture. Click on it to make it bigger. There is a fat female in the dead centre right? Below her and slightly to the right is a male. Subtle, eh? But definitely different.



16.11.23 Neon Tetras in Cube Aquarium Steve Joul - Copy.JPG
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,901
Redshark1 said:
Don't use a heater that has water inside it. That must be disposed of.

But a heater is normally needed in cold weather to keep the temp up at 74F because it shouldn't fall below 68F for Neons.

Here where I am it is summer and the room temp sometimes goes up above 74F. On very hot days I just switch off my tank lights to limit the temperature increase. My plants are OK because my tank gets some light from the window.



OK no worries. Females are deeper bodied than males. Its so they can carry the eggs. Males are much slimmer. Its most likely the males that are fighting and the females are staying out of the way. But sometimes less aggressive males will stay out of the fighting.

But there's not much difference between male and female especially when they are young. You will learn the difference by observing. Later you will tell at a glance.

But for now, if you want you can look at my picture. Click on it to make it bigger. There is a fat female in the dead centre right? Below her and slightly to the right is a male. Subtle, eh? But definitely different.



16.11.23 Neon Tetras in Cube Aquarium Steve Joul - Copy.JPG
thanks! alright. can they do well in lower temps?
 

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,156
I'd suggest 68 to 78F is OK, but if you can keep them at 74F that would be best IMO.

Check what your other fish prefer. Try Seriously Fish because that website is accurate. And crucially, if they get anything wrong they update it.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
242
Guests online
3,129
Total visitors
3,371

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom