Neon Tetra Sickness?

Kai Carlow

New Member
Messages
41
Reaction score
17
Points
43
Experience
1 year
Having got 10 neon tetra to start my cycle, 4 months on, more fish in i now have 8 remaining tetra.

over the past month or so, i've kept an eye on one tetra specifically, who developed a white patch on the red part, just at the base of the tail. Its very noticable, and at first i was worried perhaps fungus?
I kept an eye on it, and another smaller patch appeared above one fin, and another dot on the mouth of another tetra and a pale patch on a swordtail.

As soon as I notice that it was spreading, I took ALL tetras and the odd-looking swordtail out immidiately to a hospital tank, medicating them with Api Pimafix (says it treats fungus, cottony growth, mouth/body fungus, red fins and body and bacterial infections)

After a week of dosages, the patch on the swordtail disapeared and the smaller patches on both the sick tetras also faded, but the larger one persists.
I didnt WANT to put them back because of this, but my dad insisted.
Now, around two weeks after taking them out at least 4-5 tetra are showing signs, but all other fish are perfectly fine. The individual that took my concern first with the large patch on the base of the tail has significant colour loss, a SLIGHT spine droop from behind the dorsal fin to the end of the tail thats barely noticable, and others are showing signs of mouth fungus/rot.

Is there a reason they are not passing this on to fish and is it worth taking the tetra out and treating them again with the medicine, or perhaps with salts?( i have aquarium salt but have no idea how to use it and was told with some fish i have its not good to dose it into the main tank)(Edit: Just checked; its my corydora that cant have the salt)
 

Brannor

Valued Member
Messages
261
Reaction score
104
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Neon Tetra Disease is incurable... Having had 10, lost 2 early, it was only once I noticed most of the rest with the same legions that I read up on it... Check photos of the disease against your fish and determine for yourself if its the same thing or not.

We will never have Neon Tetras again.

-G
 

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
830
Points
98
Experience
4 years
Kai Carlow said:
Having got 10 neon tetra to start my cycle, 4 months on, more fish in i now have 8 remaining tetra.

over the past month or so, i've kept an eye on one tetra specifically, who developed a white patch on the red part, just at the base of the tail. Its very noticable, and at first i was worried perhaps fungus?
I kept an eye on it, and another smaller patch appeared above one fin, and another dot on the mouth of another tetra and a pale patch on a swordtail.

As soon as I notice that it was spreading, I took ALL tetras and the odd-looking swordtail out immidiately to a hospital tank, medicating them with Api Pimafix (says it treats fungus, cottony growth, mouth/body fungus, red fins and body and bacterial infections)

After a week of dosages, the patch on the swordtail disapeared and the smaller patches on both the sick tetras also faded, but the larger one persists.
I didnt WANT to put them back because of this, but my dad insisted.
Now, around two weeks after taking them out at least 4-5 tetra are showing signs, but all other fish are perfectly fine. The individual that took my concern first with the large patch on the base of the tail has significant colour loss, a SLIGHT spine droop from behind the dorsal fin to the end of the tail thats barely noticable, and others are showing signs of mouth fungus/rot.

Is there a reason they are not passing this on to fish and is it worth taking the tetra out and treating them again with the medicine, or perhaps with salts?( i have aquarium salt but have no idea how to use it and was told with some fish i have its not good to dose it into the main tank)
White patches can be more than one disease. a good clear photo may help people on this forum identify what's going on.

strains of columnaris (evil bacterial infection) also can start with white patches. fungal infections, same thing.

it would be good to try and get a positive ID on the disease because some are more contagious to other fish than others. neon tetra disease doesn't just affect neons, sadly. neither does columnaris. some fish species are more resistant to certain diseases...many species are more resistant than neons. neons can be like the canary in the coal mine.

personally, i would take out the sick fish again and put in your Quarantine tank. but get a photo because the symptoms you're describing match at least 2 diseases (NTD and columnaris)... i'm so sorry for your troubles, btw
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Kai Carlow

New Member
Messages
41
Reaction score
17
Points
43
Experience
1 year
Jenoli42 said:
White patches can be more than one disease. a good clear photo may help people on this forum identify what's going on.

strains of columnaris (evil bacterial infection) also can start with white patches. fungal infections, same thing.

it would be good to try and get a positive ID on the disease because some are more contagious to other fish than others. neon tetra disease doesn't just affect neons, sadly. neither does columnaris. some fish species are more resistant to certain diseases...many species are more resistant than neons. neons can be like the canary in the coal mine.

personally, i would take out the sick fish again and put in your Quarantine tank. but get a photo because the symptoms you're describing match at least 2 diseases (NTD and columnaris)... i'm so sorry for your troubles, btw



Unfortunately im not exactly an expert on taking pictures of fish... the little guys dart around pretty fast for my phone camera to keep up with.
The first and second image is of the most evidently sick fish (the second comparing it to one of normal colours in my tank), and the third of one of the less sick, where you can just about see how the mouth area has a white/clear look to it. They're the only two slow enough for me to have caught by net or hand (didn't touch the lil guy just shimmied him close to the front of the tank)
1.jpg 2A.jpg 3.jpg
NTD i've heard of as I studied a brief aquine course as part of a general animal management diploma, but columnaris is definately something i havent heard of, and will research into! Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be sure to reseperate those tetra showing signs of sickness.

The other fish species in the tank are corydora, yoyo loaches, kribensis, mollies, swordtails, and dwarf gourami, are those fish that may be susceptable to columnaris?
EDIT: forgot to mention in the images the fins arent visable at all really, they are intact, but very very slightly broken down at the ends, I assumed due to fish squabbles, but from looking at columnaris it may be a possible symptom of that???
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,308
Reaction score
12,233
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
Kai Carlow said:
Unfortunately im not exactly an expert on taking pictures of fish... the little guys dart around pretty fast for my phone camera to keep up with.
The first and second image is of the most evidently sick fish (the second comparing it to one of normal colours in my tank), and the third of one of the less sick, where you can just about see how the mouth area has a white/clear look to it. They're the only two slow enough for me to have caught by net or hand (didn't touch the lil guy just shimmied him close to the front of the tank)
View attachment 433054 View attachment 433055 View attachment 433056
NTD i've heard of as I studied a brief aquine course as part of a general animal management diploma, but columnaris is definately something i havent heard of, and will research into! Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be sure to reseperate those tetra showing signs of sickness.

The other fish species in the tank are corydora, yoyo loaches, kribensis, mollies, swordtails, and dwarf gourami, are those fish that may be susceptable to columnaris?
EDIT: forgot to mention in the images the fins arent visable at all really, they are intact, but very very slightly broken down at the ends, I assumed due to fish squabbles, but from looking at columnaris it may be a possible symptom of that???
I'd get it out and euthanise.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom