Neon Tetra Red Gills?

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I bought 10 neons tetras from the fish store and noticed that one of them has red gills, I didn't think of it too much as it could have been stress, but they have been in the quarantine tank for almost a week now and I still see the red gills on that one fish. Here is what it looks like:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/images/imported/2012/02/114.jpg

The quarantine tank isn't cycled but I don't think that is the problem because I do %50 water changes everyday as well as a full dose of Prime everyday. So what could be causing the red gills?

2. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

What is your ammonia at? Don't just trust that a water change will keep everything in check, you need to test it. What if you habe 4ppm ammonia, and ammonia in your water? Then it won't drop that much. Please test the ammonia and nitrite.

3. OP
    OP
    Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I just tested and it has been about 20 hours since last water change, ammonia is .25-.5 and nitrite is 0

4. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

0.5ppm will not usually not be bad enough to cause ammonia burns on the gills. This neon likely had something going on at the store. Watch him and the others in QT closely and give them a full month, in case it's a pathogen. Good luck!

Edit: just saw that picture. It looks pretty bad. Could be a severe ammonia burn or nitrite toxicity, or an infection or infestation. I hope he recovers! Clean clean water and maybe a gentle QT med for parasites would help.