Neon Tetra Question

1. omordn Member Member

I was given 8 neon tetras with a 20g I setup. These fish seem to fight a lot or at least chase each other out. Is this normal? I asked the previous owner about this and he said they seem to do that a lot. Just wondering if I should be concerned.

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have never seen mine fight but they are active and like to stay in their ( I have about 20 in my 72 gallon ) school. Maybe increasing the numbers helps but I see you have a 20 gallon, I am not sure how many more you can put in that sized tank since these fish are pretty active.

What other fish are currently in there? Is it just the Gold Dwarf Gourami you have listed?

3. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Often there is one A-female (bigger fatter than the rest) that is telling the rules !! Chasing can be part of that, also be showing of. In most cases they don't really fight.

4. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes. Could be a mating thing if you have more males than females. Maybe try adding in a few more females to even it out.

5. omordn Member Member

I honestly don't want to add more fish. I kind of like the number I have and I'm planning to go on vacation next month or the next so I'd like to keep things stable as much as I can before my trip.

And yes, @Junne, the only other fish I have is the Gold Dwarf Gourami with 2 Nerite snails.

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Think that's good thinking.

Btw : what is a Gold dwarf gourami?

7. omordn Member Member

Sorry... bad habit of mine. I actually named the Gourami "goldie" since it looks like the color of gold. Goldie is a sunburst dwarf gourami or also referred by as honey gourami.

8. moonraingirl Member Member

Just wanted to add that my neons are doing the same thing. Especially one of them seems to be very grumpy and I've observed him chasing others for no reason. He looks like a bully! I've got 6 neons in 125l and I plan to add 6 more so we'll see if that helps.

9. omordn Member Member

Keep me posted if you could, moonraingirl I'd like to see whether it improves your tetra behavior.

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

It's probably a female (I didn't say offcourse !!!)

11. moonraingirl Member Member

@omordn I eventually added more neons and it worked! They school and swim around whole tank now! (they used to be more at the bottom before). The bullying seems to have stopped. I know that it's subjective, but it looks like they are generally happier now there's more of them.

12. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Great news

13. omordn Member Member

awesome!