Neon Tetra Problem, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Vortexed, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Vortexed

Vortexed Valued Member Member

I'm so worried for my neon tetrqs, I can't sleep at all. I got 5 neon Tetras for my 20 gallon.. But that 20 gallon has a pictus catfish. So before the catfish at them, I put em in my spare 5 gallon tank. They look so scared and stressed and I feel horrible but I dont want the. To get and eaten I tried rehoming the catfish but its so difficult..

2. L

Levibeast Valued Member Member

Maybe try adding plants and covering for now. I think they will feel better with shade.

3. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

I got 5 neon tetras yesterday, but then I learned the pictus may eat them. So I put the neons in the 5 gallon untill I got the pictus rehomed.. didnt work out.

2 neons died :(. I was extremely upset.. one got stuck in the filter, other died of stress. Im down to only 3 NEONS! I dont know how they will survive in a group of 3... what do I do?

4. Lindsay83

Lindsay83 Valued Member Member

Do they have anywhere to hide? It's not ideal, but if they have plenty of places to hide, they should at least survive.

5. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Nope.

Update: My catfish ate a neon.. his stomache is huge and im missing another neon.

6. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Pictus cats will eat them regardless. Cover or not. They are very fast and agile And should not be kept alone these fish get to a decent size too. 20g is way to small for them. Sooner or later your going to have to get rid of him

7. Lindsay83

Lindsay83 Valued Member Member

Oops. Sorry, I thought the neons were in a separate tank to the pictus. :oops:

8. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

They were. They were so stressed and sad I had to transfer. And 2 died in that other tank.. one got stuck in the filter, another died of stress

Im gonna TRY to return him to the pet store. He is pretty healthy. And he wont be eating for a while since he just devoured a neon...

9. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

I am pretty sure pet stores are required by law to take unwanted fish. Try and look up your state laws. I know here in Hawaii all our pet stores are required to take them. After reading more I don't think big chain stores are required but most mom and pop stores will. Just as long as your fish is healthy. Try calling around and ask.

Good Luck!

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I am not in the US, but it sounds quite strange stores would be required to take missold/bought fish by law.

11. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

Well here in Hawaii what they don't want to happen is that, let's say you have a fish that you don't want and the pet store doesn't take it. And now you are stuck with a fish that you don't want and don't want to maybe euthanize it. amd you ask everyone you know if they want a fish for free and they all say no thanks. Well not what are you going to do? Oh I have an idea why don't I take it to a river or stream and just dump my fish there. Well what could happen is that, since this is not a native fish they can create havoc on the native fish.

Here is a short video of a stream we have with Plecos and some big ones. Plecos are not a native fish and they can compete with other fish for food and space.

You can see what happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice