Neon Tetra Nipping

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by Hamifish, Jul 27, 2015.

1. HamifishNew MemberMember

HI there guys,
    just after some fishy advice, Ive recently rehomed all my fish from a 10G tank into a 50G tank.
    Yesterday I noticed some fins had been nipped on my neon tetras, but the rummynoses were fine, and today it was even worse.
    I currently have two culpirts, just wondering who you guys think is more likely to be nipping at them.

2 Yoyo Loachs (one is new but to small to be the culprit i think. the other is very active in the tank)
    1 Kribensis - has been homed with the rummynoses in a 5g tank, before I got them
    1 Molly
    1 Bristlenose
    3 Rummynoses
    5 Neon Tetras - Only one has no damage now.

2. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

You need more Tetras per group, id up both schools to 10 or maybe 8 rummynose and about 12 neons. Tetras get nippy when in small groups, because they dont feel safe and when feeling threatened theyll nip. Tetras are schooling fish, and wile 6 plus of the same species to make a proper school is a good minimum number, the larger the school the better. Youll see more natural behavior, and theyll have a much more peaceful demeanor. My guess would be the rummynose doing the nipping.

3. HamifishNew MemberMember

I was planning on getting some more tetras anyway, so I'll up their group size. Anything I can do to help repair their fins?

4. Et tuValued MemberMember

Keep the tank water clean via water changes. They will recover quickly, congrats on the 50 gallon.

5. HamifishNew MemberMember

Thanks, I'll do a water change this evening.
    Yeah much nicer having them in a 50G, rather than the 10, all seem happier except for the neons getting nipped.

6. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

On my last attempt to keep Neon Tetras, they nipped each others tails completely off to the point I lost 20 of them. I have no idea why they are so aggressive to members of their own kind.

Thread moved to Tetras/Neon Tetra section of the forum.

Ken

7. HamifishNew MemberMember

Cool, first attempt at any kinds of fish tank was my 10g so i was just happy to see all the fish survive, one loss to date ( touch wood). Would you maybe recommend leaving the neon tetras at 5 untill I find out who the nipper is? and just upping the other tetras?

8. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello,

Personally, I will not try Neon's again. I think your plan is sound to up the # of other Tetras for now.

Ken

9. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I have 16 neons in my 55g, and 14 Harlequin Rasbora, no nipping issues whatsoever. The larger schools really help break up any sort of aggression.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice