Neon Tetra Nearly Sucked In By Filter

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by XenoMarc, Apr 20, 2017.

1. XenoMarcValued MemberMember

Hello.
    I am currently cycling a 240l tank with 8 neon tetras (this tank + filter:  )
    Just now, my sister told me a fish was being sucked in by the filter and couldn't move. So I closed the filter and the fish swam away.
    I feel uncomfortable with filter because before, it sucked in one of my 9 neon tetras and killed it and I don't want it to happen again.
    What can I do to block up this type of filter?
    (I think its holes are big enough to suck the fish into it)
    Please help ASAP.
    Thank you.

2. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Wrap a layer of sponge filter around the intake. Easiest way to do it. I use a coarse mesh but I have bigger fish.

3. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I had to replay the video a couple of times to see exactly where the intake was. It is on the back of the tank correct? Or is it the small slots at the bottom left of the filter?

4. XenoMarcValued MemberMember

Slots on bottom left and top right

5. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Okay, two inlets. If you can cover them with sponge, that would be the best fix. That is a beautiful tank.

6. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

The other thing that I did for one of my small internal filters was i rubberbanded a sacrificed net (those green fish ones) over the entire bottom half of the filter.

7. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Nighthawk, you would have to see this filter. The suction strength is the problem here. The net would not change the suction strength. Sponge over the slots would disperse the suction over a broader area and the neons would not get stuck to it. (Although I might use that net application in the future in my tanks)

8. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Ah ha. Now I see it. My apologies :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice