Neon Tetra missing its eye

1. katiemorrison94

katiemorrison94 Valued Member Member

Do you think he will live? I just brought home around 20 neon tetra for my tank. After acclimating them I notice one was swimming by itself. I have attached a picture. 1467487905766.jpg It was really hard to get a picture of it though. But the fish has no eye.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Many fish can live long healthy lives with just one eye. But the fact that it's not schooling with the others might be a bit concerning. I'd just keep a close eye on it for the next few days.

3. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

Yeah, it's just swimming close to the top alone so I dont think it will make it :/

4. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

If it's able to eat it has a good chance

5. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

Sadly he died. I think the guy who got them from the tank at the store hurt him in the process! :/

6. Dave125g

That happens there delicate fish. So sorry for your loss

7. el337

Aww, sorry to hear that. :(

8. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

Thank you all. Hopefully they other 21 of them will stop hiding towards the bottom corner of my tank. I know it might take a few days for them to adjust, but about how long do you think they will take to adjust?

9. Dave125g

Is that all that's in the tank is the Neons?

10. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

Currently just the neons and a mystery snail. Ill be getting sterbai corys within the next week.

11. el337

You should probably get a cooler water cory like pandas, false julii or even aeneus (bronze, albino and green color morphs). Neons prefer the temp below 75F. Sterbais like it around 80.

12. Dave125g

Are they exploring the tank more today?

13. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

They are exploring a little more. I think it is because i dont have that many plants in my tank right now. I have ordered more so im just waiting for them to come in the mail. Should come in later this week.

14. Dave125g

That's good. Sounds like there getting used to there new home.

15. col7on

col7on Valued Member Member

I had some blood fins that attacked my neons killed 2 and one had its eye eaten he lived another year and a half so they can survive