Neon Tetra Missing Gill Covers

1. xshainax Well Known Member Member

Um...So I bought 8 neons for my 29 gallon ant I noticed one is missing both gill covers and all I see is red. Is this going to hurt him? I don't know how else to describe it.

2. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? Tank size and other inhabitants? Can you post a pic of the fish in question?

3. xshainax Well Known Member Member

Ammonia is at 0, so is nitrite and nitrate is at 10. It is a 29 gallon with 7 other neons and 3 white skirts and 3 black skirts. These are the best I can get.

Attached Files:

4. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

I'm not very good at ID'ing fish ailments. My first thought was an ammonia issue as that can cause red gills, but it's obviously not that. My second thought is gill flukes. Hopefully someone more experienced than I can jump in and help soon!

5. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

Giving this a bump for you.

Can anyone help the OP with this Neon?

6. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

maybe it was a deformity when it was born. There are always runts of the litter and unfortunately you may have gotten one. Keep the water extra clean since he would be more fragile( i think)

7. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I believe this is a common deformity.

I expect it is a result of the farming of Neon Tetra.

On fish farms natural selection does not operate the way it does in the wild and so such deformities may not be weeded out.

Uncontrolled inbreeding and mutation would be two ways in which deformities could originate.

8. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

One of my glowlights has the same thing. Doesn't affect him at all. Probably just a deformity.