Neon tetra health??

mileshasabrowndogenm

Hey everyone, meant to post this a couple days ago but just getting around to it now. So I was looking at my tank and I noticed a little white bump on one of my neons mouth, so I moved him to my empty ten gal while I did research. My other fish seems ok I think? I don’t see the bump on his mouth as much anymore but I’m wondering if I should still medicate him or something. This is more likely disease bc a little while ago I bought a neon and he died the same day. By disease or my fault idk. (Just got back from petsmart and there were like 10 dead neons in their tanks) So ik thinking maybe the fish that died recently gave him something? Never dealt with this before. The only medication I have rn is general cure. My poor babies in no school. I’ve just had such trouble with them for some reason.

First photos are of the not affected fish. The others r of the afflicted.

Attachments

• E95C01EA-995D-4C13-96B0-15662396E51D.jpeg
    E95C01EA-995D-4C13-96B0-15662396E51D.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 6A77711C-58F2-4893-89A0-0A397A7D930B.jpeg
    6A77711C-58F2-4893-89A0-0A397A7D930B.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 4DB9E31A-81EC-47B0-B586-5E233D93CB08.jpeg
    4DB9E31A-81EC-47B0-B586-5E233D93CB08.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 413B11D0-1EA4-490F-95EB-640EBD42F51B.jpeg
    413B11D0-1EA4-490F-95EB-640EBD42F51B.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 19

Freshfishguy

Hey everyone, meant to post this a couple days ago but just getting around to it now. So I was looking at my tank and I noticed a little white bump on one of my neons mouth, so I moved him to my empty ten gal while I did research. My other fish seems ok I think? I don’t see the bump on his mouth as much anymore but I’m wondering if I should still medicate him or something. This is more likely disease bc a little while ago I bought a neon and he died the same day. By disease or my fault idk. (Just got back from petsmart and there were like 10 dead neons in their tanks) So ik thinking maybe the fish that died recently gave him something? Never dealt with this before. The only medication I have rn is general cure. My poor babies in no school. I’ve just had such trouble with them for some reason.

First photos are of the not affected fish. The others r of the afflicted.
I can’t really see the white bump, other than maybe in the first few pics around the tetra’s head?

I had a similar issue with my neons a little while ago. Here is the thread which discusses the possible causes:Neon Tetra Growth | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 494422. You can compare the growth on my neon’s mouths to the one on yours.

But the TLDR is that it’s either a fungus, columnaris, or a species specific virus that affects neons. In my case, I treated for fungus and columnaris and it didn’t help, so I am pretty certain it was a species-specific virus.

“If you don't want the other neons to get it you could move it to a different tank without neons. The virus shouldn't kill the fish but will likely spread to other neons.” Is a piece of advice I received regarding the virus on my thread.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I'm no expert in fish disease and such, but I have been keeping tetras and other small schooling fish for a long time. Here is what I do with those little white bumps that show up on their mouths (especially when they're new to the tank):

I watch them closely to see if they are getting better or worse. Most times I've found the fish just heal on their own. But, sometimes the white patches spread to other parts of the fish. If the white bumps/patches spread, the fish usually die eventually. So, I remove fish that look like they're not improving and euthanize them. The idea being to remove a potentially contagious fish before they get too sick.

This is probably not the best way to go, because I don't even try to treat my fish. But, it has enabled me to consistently keep schools of neons and other small schooling fish over the years with minimal losses. I think providing the best possible home for your fish allows their own immune systems to fight most things off. And, if that isn't enough, they probably would not have survived anyway.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Broggy
  • Question
Replies
Views
mileshasabrowndogenm
Replies
Views
Swatson