Neon tetra has white stuff on side.

SQW

After a 1 ppm ammonia spike, I did an emergency water change, put my betta into a quarantine bowl. I didn't feed my fish for a few days and then one tetra has unfortunately died. Another one is still alive and has this white stuff on his side and some white dots (ick?). I did another water change today and added some API ammo-lock conditioner into the new batch of water. What is this and what do I do?

I don't want to put this one fish into quarantine, because as someone with a neon tetra school might tell you, they're impossible to catch.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Also Nitrites are at 0 ppm
Nitrates at 5 ppm
PH is at 6.6.

Attachments

• Tetra1.jpg
    Tetra1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Tetra2.jpg
    Tetra2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 40

Tristen

After a 1 ppm ammonia spike, I did an emergency water change, put my betta into a quarantine bowl. I didn't feed my fish for a few days and then one tetra has unfortunately died. Another one is still alive and has this white stuff on his side and some white dots (ick?). I did another water change today and added some API ammo-lock conditioner into the new batch of water. What is this and what do I do?

I don't want to put this one fish into quarantine, because as someone with a neon tetra school might tell you, they're impossible to catch.

Nitrates at 5 ppm
PH is at 6.6.
Doesn’t look like ick to me. Ick literarily looks like white spots. This looks like columnaris or some other bacterial infection

OP
SQW

SQW

Doesn’t look like ick to me. Ick literarily looks like white spots. This looks like columnaris or some other bacterial infection

I don't have Furan-2, but I do have some fin and body cure, do you know if this'll be fine to use?

BellaFriedrick

Nitrates at 5 ppm
PH is at 6.6.
One of my neon tetras has something like that except in grey, just a weird stripe of it through his blue. He’s completely fine, it’s just there. I don’t think it’s what yours has but what I’m saying is mine is just like that, and he’s doing great lime my other neons. Is it fuzzy looking? Like cotton?

OP
SQW

SQW

One of my neon tetras has something like that except in grey, just a weird stripe of it through his blue. He’s completely fine, it’s just there. I don’t think it’s what yours has but what I’m saying is mine is just like that, and he’s doing great lime my other neons. Is it fuzzy looking? Like cotton?
I don't think so. Its most likely not a fungal infection.

OP
SQW

SQW

Weird. It looks too big to be ick tho
Most liklely isn't. Someone previously mentioned columnaris, so I'm gonna go with that.

Shrimp42

Well Known
It definitely looks like columnaris. Furan 2 and kanaplex are the two main meds for it. I would treat the whole tank to be safe, but kanaplex will kill your plants (or at least it killed mine).

BellaFriedrick

I don't think so. Its most likely not a fungal infection.
Huh. I just noticed one of my neons has something like that, except it’s greyish white. What happened to yours after you noticed?

OP
SQW

SQW

Huh. I just noticed one of my neons has something like that, except it’s greyish white. What happened to yours after you noticed?
One died, another is infected. It's probably columnaris.

BellaFriedrick

Will api fungus cure work? It’s the only fungus meds I have
Mine has about the same thing yours does, except it’s not as big or as white

Shrimp42

Well Known
Mine has about the same thing yours does, except it’s not as big or as white
No columnaris is a bacteria not fungus.

So the fungal meds won't work

BellaFriedrick

No columnaris is a bacteria not fungus.

So the fungal meds won't work
Ok. How can I tell the difference? Bc its only on the tail of on tetra.

Shrimp42

Well Known
Ok. How can I tell the difference? Bc its only on the tail of on tetra.
Make your own thread and then @ me. Post pictures of the fish and I will help you as best I can.

OP
SQW

SQW

Will api fungus cure work? It’s the only fungus meds I have
Columnaris is not a fungus, but rather a bacteria. I'm not exactly sure if it'll work. Someone once said that it could work on bacterial infections, but don't take this advice as true. I'm using Aquarium salts at the moment to try and kill the bacteria and some Furan-2

I too believe its columnaris. And yes furan two or any fungal infection medicine should works

Shrimp42

Well Known
I too believe its columnaris. And yes furan two or any fungal infection medicine should works
No fungal meds will not work. Don't use fungal meds it will only put more stress on the fish and it won't do anything. Furan-2 is nitrofurazone, and its used to treat gram negative and some gram positive bacterial infections (columnaris is gram negative).

No fungal meds will not work. Don't use fungal meds it will only put more stress on the fish and it won't do anything. Furan-2 is nitrofurazone, and its used to treat gram negative and some gram positive bacterial infections (columnaris is gram negative).
Oh really? lol I never knew that in that case don't listen to me. I guess furan-two will only work.

Shrimp42

Well Known
Oh really? lol I never knew that in that case don't listen to me. I guess furan-two will only work.
Its all good. Other meds that treat gram negative bacterial infections will also work, furan 2 is just the most common. I

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
doughboy52
Replies
Views
Potato head
Replies
Views
Whitewolf
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

We have gurus on all sorts of fish keeping subjects. Gurus are members that have shown great knowledge in a particular area. You have to get nominated by your fellow members and moderators have to approve guru nominations. To read more about the guru badges go here:
Guru Badge Info

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom