Neon Tetra grouping help?

Honem

I've had 6 neon tetras in my 10-gallon tank for almost a year now. A few months ago two died from Neon Tetra Disease, and they seem to have been jumpier and schooling together a lot more often than before. I've heard that I have to have at least 6 in a 10-gallon tank, so should I get more? I also have about ten cherry shrimp in the tank. Could I possibly group them together with some golden neon tetras/some other fish, or should I just stick to the ones I have now? Will there be any problems (such as aggression) if I put new fish in there?

BigManAquatics

I would stick with the kind of neons you have. They are probably schooling more because safety in numbers.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Are they grouping together tightly? That could be a sign of ammonia in the water

Upvote 0

Honem

Are they grouping together tightly? That could be a sign of ammonia in the water
No, they are not. It's not very often, but it's still out of the ordinary considering they haven't done it since the first week I got them. I noticed it's the really small things, like today my baby shrimp accidentally bumped into one of the tetras and they all grouped together instantly. They've had close encounters with the shrimp before and they never seemed to care, so I think they're just jumpier than usual. It also happens when I turn the lights on and when I make a loud noise outside the tank. They all huddle together for a few seconds then go about their business, but they used to not react at all.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
  • Question
100 Gallon Tank Bloated neon tetra
Replies
Views
A201
  • Question
Replies