Neon Tetra going mouldy??! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Dark Sky, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Dark Sky

Dark SkyValued MemberMember

Good evening all,
    I've had a few cases of fin-nipping amongst my Neons, just this evening I've noticed one has a fury growth on his tail, looks to be orange with white hairs, very 'mould' like. I've never seen this before, would love some advice, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Looks like a fungal infection of some sort to me. Personally i would QT him to give him the chance to heal.

3. Micaela13

Micaela13Well Known MemberMember

Yea that's a fungus. You need to quarantine the poor guy before it spreads to the other fish. Also you need to treat it to knock off the fungus before it spreads through the whole fish and kills it. I can't think of the medicine that's good for this because im drawing a blank haha poeticinjustices what do you recommend for fungus, since I know you have tried probably every med in the book haha :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Thanks for chiming in guys. Just a quick update, she looked quite poorly this morning, I have has some Indian Almond Leaves on hand with the thought of going blackwater in this tank, I'd read about them being used by Betta owners to cure fun issues, so I tossed one in on my way out the door to work this morning.

I've just returned home and almost had trouble picking which was the affected fish! She still has a little of the 'fuzz' hanging on, but it's a fraction of the size it was in the photo above. I'd imagine a fungal infection would just continue to grow if left to its own devices? Ie, it wouldn't die back like this, would it?

I'll endeavour to get my little QT up and running after dinner, it's been a long day!

5. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

How she's currently looking:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  6. FiscCyning

FiscCyningValued MemberMember

I would still quarantine and treat her though, since she still has the fungal infection. It's possible the other fish nipped her fins or something else that caused her to lose the affected area.

I've had good results from RidFungus when treating fungal fin issues in a betta. It is an all natural treatment. Or there are other chemical medications too of course. Pimafix would be good if you have it.

7. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Thanks, I'll look into those tomorrow, unfortunately I don't have anything on hand. While the patient is in QT, would it be worth medicating the rest of the community as a preventative measure?

8. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure quarantine would be the best bet with a neon.

Without a school around it, it will be very stressed out and even more likely to succumb to illness.

9. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

I had similar thoughts, she has been hiding in the darkest corner of the QT tank. It would 'appear' (in the dim morning light) that she is fungus free... I may attempts to pop her back in with the family before I head out the door, then see if I can find a preventative dose for the whole community.

10. poeticinjustices

poeticinjusticesWell Known MemberMember

Honestly that looks a lot like photos I've seen of saprolegnia. Which is not actually a true fungus, but that's beside the point. Of course, I could be totally wrong about it as it is often hard to differentiate but still, the treatment will work all the same.

I'd probably start with Paraguard. It's safe for your cycle (tried it myself) but it will stain some things. It didn't stain the sealant of my tank but it DID stain the plastic suction cups. I've also heard of Quick Cure being effective,but that'll smash the cycle.

Oxidizer baths like potassium permanganate or methylene blue (not both) are good for fungus if she'll tolerate it. Baths are stressful. Phenoxethol solution added to the food I've heard good things about, if you can find it.

I saw Rid Fungus mentioned - is the active ingredient Acriflavin? That'll probably do if it's not too severe.

I would probably just start by putting her in QT and using Paraguard or Pimafix directly in the QT. If it still gets bad, then try adding some baths. Both Paraguard and Pimafix are gentle on the fish.

Surprisingly, I've never struggled with fungus. I've seen one or two suspicious things pop up and fade on their own. The meds I'm listing above are just where my research has led me and I would encourage you to do your own research before choosing any of them.

Also, I haven't researched these meds in extensive detail. Contraindications, side effects, interactions I know nothing about. Maybe someone else can chime in on some of them. Me personally, I'd start with Paraguard.

Here are some links claireputput gave to me that I found helpful.

11. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Great info, thanks. I looked in on her a couple hours ago and she seemed completely fungus free. I'll check on her again this afternoon on my way to the LFS to look into meds. Thanks!

12. poeticinjustices

poeticinjusticesWell Known MemberMember

Awesome! Tough little fishy!

13. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

...it may also help that the Danios, one of whom I believe is the nipping culprit, went off to their new home last night!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice