Neon Tetra Floating Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oioi

Reaction score
Hello
I got some double trouble!
A month ago I got my first bunch of Neon Tetras. Shockingly I today discovered that 2 out of 10 has floating problems. The first, more pale one is the smallest of the group. The stomach doesn’t look terribly bloated, though larger than the majority. It sinks either head or tail first quite rapidly and I’m not sure if it is a bladder problem or the Neon Tetra disease...
The second one with more colors seems totally normal, apart from it floating upwards head down. I suspect it could be a bladder problem.

Non of them have experienced any strikes or punches to the body (which can cause swim bladder problems) as I know of. I feed them flakes once a day.

Does anyone know what’s the cause to their problems?

Thanks in advance.
(And sorry for the horrific quality)

Attachments

OP
O

Oioi

Reaction score
I don’t have the equipment to test ammonia. I recently added the first living plant into the aquarium, one of those moss dots that the newborn babies can hide in. However I change almost a third of the tanks water every week, and I don’t feed them so much that they can’t eat it all. So I don’t see why the ammonia level should be too high. (The walls are plastic, and therefor a lot of green algae stick to them pretty quickly, I don’t know if that means anything). I have tested the levels of KH, GH, NO2, NO3, Cl2 And pH, all of which was perfect apart from the Cl2 which was taken care of with a dose of aquasafe.

The water isn’t very warm though, maybe 24 Celsius...

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Temp is fine. 23C ideal.

You should test for ammonia as that is the most important thing to test for.

Its hard to tell from the description and pictures (nothing wrong with your info) but the majority of problems with Neons are due to Columnaris.

Neons often come with problems. I just concentrate on providing the best conditions for them and hope they pull through.

I don't know of anyone who has successfully treated the disease with medications.

Medications treat the symptoms but not the underlying cause and disease will come back after the medication period if the reason for its development is not removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Weekly

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 22 17.6%

Top Bottom