Neon tetra disease?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by runicorn, Jul 6, 2015.

1. r

runicorn New Member Member

I just bought a few neon tetras today so I actually have a couple questions.

1) I bought three neon tetras because I was told you're supposed to only add two or three at a time. I plan on getting more. Is it a better idea to add a couple fish at a time or add the entire school at once so they feel safe?

2) One of my tetras has a fat belly and his red stripe is a little faded. I'm worried this is neon tetra disease. Can anyone tell me how to tell when it's the disease and when it's just bloating/stress? If it is the disease, about how long does he have?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. S

Suave Valued Member Member

I'm not sure about your second question, but I can try help with the first. How many neons did you buy? Usually with small schooling fish like that you'd want at least 6 of them and you should be fine putting them all into the tank all together.

3. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

NTD presents as a brown stripe/lesion near the back of the fish.

4. felix

felix Valued Member Member

1) They will not feel save until you add six of them.
    2) It's probably neon tetra disease and there is no cure.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I don't know about Neon Tetra Disease, but for the 2nd question, could it be that the tetra is a little stressed? You recently got the tetras so maybe that's why their color is faded

6. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

It really depends on the age of your tank and therefore how well your bio-bed is built up. I always advise adding new fish gradually, so as to never run ahead of your cycle (so test your water frequently, and do WCs as indicated). The stress of maintaining fish in a tank that is not yet quite ready for them far exceeds the few days of stress caused by a living in too small a school, IMO.
    Neon tetra disease is a quite specific disease caused by infection, and remains untreatable I believe.
    However, many things can cause fish to look off colour, such as the stress involved in moving to a new tank, or even being briefly maintained a too small numbers for schooling species. Until you introduce more neons, I think that reducing your lighting, and providing more cover (plants, hides, etc.) might made them more comfortable.
    Also recall (even though there is not much that you can do about it) that especially with popular species, there has been a general decline in quality, as fish farming has largely replaced hobbyist breedering as the main (or only) source for our fish,
    On the whole, I think that for now you might be better guided by the fishs behavior than its colour, so if it is feeding well, swimming well, and appears to be healthy, it likely is healthy. Best of luck, rick

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  7. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Is your tank cycled? If you're trying to do a fish-in cycle, neon tetras are not a good choice. They're too fragile.

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with ClearEyes .
    Besides of that I think it's quite odd every issue with a Neon is thought to be NTD., it's quite rare, is lethal quite fast, will infect all fish, is caused by a parasite, has specific symptoms (not bloating, is untreatable and incurable.

9. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

What size tank do you have, and what's the overall stock or planned stock?

10. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Neons, really should be acclimated by a very slow drip. What you have described is stress induced color loss, the bloat could be a plump female. They will get their glow on once they are happy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice