Neon Tetra Disease Cure

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Seen alot of posts lately about NTD. Maybe this is something you could look into. Its a dangerous chemical so use with caution.
"Naladin"
(nalidixic acid)

Attachments

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've given up on neon tetras after many years of trying. They just go belly up too fast--the ones that actually survive the trip here from Thailand. I was going to get some from Florida, where a university-breeding program has really taken off, but now I've decided to go with blue star Endlers instead. They have similar colors but with more variety in patterns (I can actually tell individual fish apart) and they breed easily, so that makes up for them living only 1/10 as long (as neon tetras that actually survive--I only had a few do so).

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Surely you've heard of off label use of medications.
On the back it states
"treats neon, cardinal, and tetra disease"

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive never had luck with neon tetras either. I usually keep bigger tetras like bleeding heart or red tail or seprae.
Its something that Neon tetra lovers should look into.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whitewolf said:
On the back it states
I have no interest in the claims that the seller makes but rather what the active ingredient is held to do by the the greater body of knowledge.

'Surely' you have heard of snake oil. Anyone looking to make dollar can claim what ever they like, and there will always be those that will buy it.

There is a lot of mis diagnosis of NTD, and the above mentioned drug would treat symptoms that are called NTD but in reality are something else.

As for keeping neons, I have (other than an occasional loss) never had issues. Five years old is common. We have a school in a 55 and a 150 gallon at this time.

They are demanding of proper water that does require a higher level of care/equipment than other tetras.

The truly odd thing is that I never could keep cardinals alive and they are held to be easier than neons....Go figure.

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have read articles about nalaxidic acid and its effect to kill sporazoan parasites, i can try to find the article.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whitewolf said:
I have read articles about nalaxidic acid and its effect to kill sporazoan parasites, i can try to find the article.
That would be great. Thank you If there is finally a cure for NTD many people will rejoice :;bananawater

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whitewolf said:
On the back it states
There is no such a thing as neon, cardinal and tetra disease to my opinion. It is Neon tetra disease (completely stupid and misleading they called it that way but okay).

Esha states to block / treat NTD. Forget it.

Don't know this stuff, so maybe it is the cure but I doubt it.

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know for a fact it works. Ive used it myself, and ive seen the results for my guppies that got NTD from freeze dried tubifex. It will lurk in your tanks and cause odd pale fish and bent spines and you can never figure it out. It is NTD and naladin works!!! (the only thing that does work for NTD avaliable to hobbyist)

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whitewolf said:
I know for a fact it works. Ive used it myself, and ive seen the results for my guppies that got NTD from freeze dried tubifex. It will lurk in your tanks and cause odd pale fish and bent spines and you can never figure it out. It is NTD and naladin works!!! (the only thing that does work for NTD avaliable to hobbyist)
No Tetrahymena your guppies encountered WW ?

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, Its a spore-parasite that attacks the spine, its from feeding tubifex worms, fish food with salmon that hasnt been cooked enough, or keeping guppies along with tetras.

My guppies had these symptoms

Pale, lack of appitate, clamped fins, shimmying, bent spines, and instestinal distress, bloating, diahreeah

Maybe its Tetrahymena not NTD, @DoubleDutch is this what your suggestion is?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom