Neon Tetra Condition?

N8_the_Gr8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The one on the bottom looks to have a sunken belly which could mean that it is slowly wasting away and will eventually die if left untreated. Usually what causes this is internal parasites.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm afraid I can't help you identifying diseases. Hopefully somebody can help you with that soon so you can take the proper steps. Good luck.

N8_the_Gr8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cardinal tetras are immune to NTD so I would think it would be an internal parasite for the sunken belly one. I would need a better picture for the fins.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does any of the other CT's bellies look like that? I ask because every time I see Cardinals at the store their bellies look like that. I thought it was just because of the red coloration ending in that area gave the visual effect of a sunken belly when in reality it was just a silver-colored area.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The he/she may be ok.
Any difference in behavior in comparison with the other CTs?
Is it swimming and eating normally?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
N8_the_Gr8 said:
Cardinal tetras are immune to NTD so I would think it would be an internal parasite for the sunken belly one. I would need a better picture for the fins.
Since when is that exactly ?

Mohammed Itfaq said:
Yes they are cardinals, they fin is white, so not sure if it is fin rot, or neon tetra disease
Cardinals show white finedges when healthy. Is that what you mean.

The one ib the pic has a sunken belly but doesn't seem to be really ill. Sometimes that happens with cardinals is my experience.

Not one symptom of NTD

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a neon tetra with that same tip on his fin. I tried eveything to treat it but it doesn't go away. I now have him in with 2 other neon tetra's that I am suspecting of NTD. As stated above, Cardinal's are suppose to be resistant to it.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, DoubleDutch, you asked a very good question. I had read when attempting to treat my neon's that Cardinals were "resistant" to it. However, in reading more information right now, it appears they can get it. In that case, the fish above looks like the ones I have living in a QT tank. One of mine has cloudy tips on the fins, one has fading color on his body and what appears to be necrosis, and the other one has a bubble on his lip that has been there for a month now and won't go away. They are living in there because I suspect they have NTD. It is not columnaris as I treated for that. Not tail rot as I treated for that. Even tried an antibiotic that was suppose to help with NTD. Didn't help. All you can do is euthanize them or put them in a seperate tank to live as long as they are still happy. I almost euthanized mine but the 3 are happy as larks in their 10G private condo. Don't even seem to care that there aren't 6 of them. lol

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since I am on Fishlore I think I've seen one or maybe two possible NTD-cases (not even sure) and thousands of cases in which NTD was mentioned though the devestating symptoms weren't there.
Funny thing is that whenever a sick neon is involved the NTD story starts in the second post. NEVER when other sick fish are topic.

If one realises this devestating parasite affects (allmost) ALL fish, has clear (terrible) signs, is lethal, untreatable (though debated), whole tankstockings should be euthanised, tanks desinfected and LFS's closed down in 99,999999% of the cases it isn't NTD.

If this would be NTD things would be a bit different at this moment (the fish involved, etc).

Then we have False NTD (columnaris bacteria) of which there is a neon specific strain thanks to pressure breeding / overuse of antibiotics etc etc.... This is the disaster going on in neons nowadays.

Neons , cardinals and a lot of tetras show white or whitish finedges when healthy or in a certain light. Don't mix them up with a disease. I don't see any in the pics btw.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wish I knew what was wrong with mine. Hate having to keep up with another tank for 3 fish. Good luck on figuring out what’s wrong with yours.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom