Neon Tetra Carrying Eggs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kirsty Knox, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Kirsty Knox

Kirsty Knox New Member Member

Hi all. Over the last few days Inhave noticed my Tetra growing in size and it's belly is pretty big. I have isolated in a DIY breeding tank as I don't have a spare one. I was thinking of trying to see see if I could breed the fish, just to try, so would I now put a male in with the female and see what happens, or just leave the female by itself and not bother trying cause it's just extra work and equipment? TIA
    I have attached photos of Tetra to show you size and then the DIY tank.

Attached Files:

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

She will not lay eggs in the breeding trap. She needs a big enough tank along with a male to lay eggs. The male chases the female (so they need quite a bit of space) and encourages her to spawn then she scatters the eggs and he fertilizes them.

If you want to breed them you will need to condition a group of them (preferably in their own tank with no other types of fish). It works best if the males and females are in separate tanks. Then when they're ready to breed place them all in a breeding tank. Using marbles as a substrate and adding spawning mops helps prevent them all being eaten. Then you will need to remove the adults to a different tank and move the eggs to a hatching/grow out tank or change the breeding tank so it is suitable for raising fry in.

By the way that is not a neon tetra.

3. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

Ok thanks. I can't believe I've been looking for this answer for hours on google. Meant to say, I am very new to fish keeping so my terminology is poor. I'm calling it a red neon Tetra (I know that's not right), can you advise what it is please?

4. BottomDweller

It looks like a glowlight tetra (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)

You may find this article useful

Edit: Don't get it confused with the glo tetra or glo skirt tetra which is a completely different fish

5. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

Thanks for your help.

6. BottomDweller

You're welcome!:)

7. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

Just a thought, is it necessary the Tetra needs to be isolated for the sole purpose of it carrying eggs?

8. BottomDweller

Are you asking if you have to isolate her to condition her for spawning?
    No. I really don't recommend putting it in a breeder trap or keeping it away from the rest of the tetras (they are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 6+)

9. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Only if you intend to set up another tank to breed them, then having the female isolated is called "conditioning", meaning letting her fill with eggs without harassment from the male. Otherwise, they will simply spawn in the community tank and everyone gets a free meal of caviar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice