Neon Tetra Breeding

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting thing happened. Finally added fish to my 100g, to the tune of 4 neon tetras. 3 males 1 female. They spawned. And by spawn I mean I witnessed the female drop a single egg next to a male which looked to fertilize it. They've had access to whatever life food they managed to catch in their new home since I introduced them last night, but the water parameters I would expect to not be conducive to spawning due to the high nitrate and lack of fish. Anybody else experience anything like this?

BettaNgold

Reaction score
Neon tetras are very difficult to breed in home tanks. A female will lay 50 to over 100 eggs. They will hatch in about 24 hours. You can expect about 1/2 of them to hatch. Keep us posted!

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Really, if you're setting up to specific to breed them they are pretty easy. I used to spawn them in marbles, but this isn't the case here. Not trying to breed them so it just caught me off guard. I doubt any would survive unfortunately until the plants get better established, and then it would still just be by chance.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom